selling in NJ

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by WRENCHETTE, Jul 26, 2006.

1. WRENCHETTE

WRENCHETTE Member

Who would I contact for sale of bearded dragons in NJ. How does one get started in sale of live animals on the web as far as permits if needed and certifications though shippers etc. Just curious... I see alot of people doing it and I though... how much does it cost and what a headache! But is it really?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cerus

Cerus Well-Known Member

Anytime you are providing a product via retail you need to get registered with your state gov to collect sales tax. You need a tax ID number sometimes called a reseller # or other terms and you can obtain this free of charge by either calling your states internal revenue service or by visiting their website. You only have to collect sales tax from in state purchases but you still have to be registered even if you never make a sale in NJ. You'll have to declare your business name and address as well. It's a lengthy process but an easy one. Your states website should have plenty of information regarding businesses.

As for shipping them, you'll have to contact the shipper you intend to use and follow their regulations and certification process. Some require test packages be sent before they will allow you to ship live animals.