Sexing a Tokay Gecko

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Ubi, May 25, 2005.

1. Ubi

Ubi New Member

Does any one know where on the web I might find detailed pictures for sexing Tokay Geckos. And what is the earliest you can accurately sex a Tokay?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BeccaL

BeccaL New Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ubi

Ubi New Member

Thanks for the websight. No he isn't any tamer and I'm pretty sure he's a she. But I just bought a 4 week old captive breed Tokay that I'm working with. It's only about an inch and a half long. I'm totally hooked on these guys. I'm going to post pics of them both soon.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. silentbob343

silentbob343 Embryo

Where did you find a CB baby tokay. I have looked around and usually only find adult Toakys.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ubi

Ubi New Member

I live in the Atlanta area and there are two reptile pet stores within an hour and a half drive of me that have very good reputations. One is called AHP Exotics (here is their websight) http://www.ahpexotics.net/ and the other is called Leo's reptile world (and here is their websight as well) http://www.leosreptileworld.com/

I kept calling these two stores once a week looking for a male Tokay to breed with Ivan (who is a girl by the way but I'm keeping her name) and neither had any Tokays for about 3 weeks but were expecting them. Then one day Leo's reptiles told me that they were getting a captive bred Tokay in soon. I told them to hold it and call me when it came in. It came in a that day and I jumped in my car and made the hour long drive a few hours after getting the call.

I have not been to the AHP store but there is an exotic animal rescue place around here that said that AHP and Leo's were respectable and knowledgeable. I was pleased with Leo's service and knowledge. It is small, and owned by a husband and wife team. I have started a relationship with Leo's Reptiles and if this new Tokay, who my 7 year old son insists on calling Darth, turns out to be male I'll be breeding Tokays for them.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BeccaL

BeccaL New Member

Thanks Ubi for the Atlanta area herp stores. I've been looking and also posted a question regarding them but didn't find much. I'm only a half hour from Leo's!!!

Becca

12. silentbob343

silentbob343 Embryo

Thanks! i live just north of Atl.

yech...one of the stores is in Loganville, no offense if anybody lives there. :)

13. Chris_Anderson

Chris_Anderson New Member

Here are some photos to help you sex your tokays (look at the pores) and a couple pics of my big male.

Male:
    [​IMG]

Females:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics of my male:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy,

Chris

14. Ubi

Ubi New Member

Excelent thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for

15. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

It seems to me that that last pic of your female shows femoral pores. Or is it just me?

16. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

Females will have them, but not as pronounced as the male. Notice the males are darker and protrude from the scales.