She got me!

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by EmilyL, Jan 4, 2007.

1. EmilyL

EmilyL New Member

Well, it finally happend...I got bit! Startled the crap out of me! lol. i opened up the lid to get out my new big girl Kaida got me today. So, I have decided to be smart and no longer feed the two of them in their regular cages! lol She held of for a few seconds and started to bring her body up to start constricting...as a reflex, I grabbed her right behind her head and pulled her off...got her out anyway...but man did it bleed!!! haha And boy, do they have a lot of teeth! lol Just thought I'd share!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

congratulations!! ^__^ dosent hurt as much as you would think. But ya they bleed really nice.
    I have been taged three times. Good thing those teeth are as sharp as they are.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. EmilyL

EmilyL New Member

It doesn't really hurt, but i was so shocked! lol. My mom saw it when it was bleeding and freaked! She goes "OMG! Isn't that dangerous!!" i laughed at her and went and cleaned it. My baby had got me once...just barley got the tip of my finger...not blood though.

Here's the bite
    [​IMG]

and here's the 'beast' that got me lol...my baby girl!!! gotta love her
    [​IMG]

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. burky_tc

burky_tc Member

Congrats your first bite! Ive yet to lose my bite virginity but I know the day will come and it will probably be from my female Ball.

BTW..whats the tattoo of?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. EmilyL

EmilyL New Member

thanks! lol, I didn't think I'd lose it so soon, but it was my bad. It must be a female thing lol...she is definitly fiesty. I had a feeling she'd be the one to get me too, b/c she always dives out of the cage to get the food before I can dump it into the cage lol, and well, today was the day!

The tat is a butterfly...it's the first i got, i love it here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. burky_tc

burky_tc Member

Well I am still holding strong and have had snakes for around 4 years now.

Atleast your female is eating though even if it is you! lol

very nice on the tat

12. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Welcome to the Bite Club!!!

Adult or near adult female Balls can be a bit nippy this time of year. Your normally docile and timid snake can become a little aggressive due to the fact that it is breeding season and the hormones are raging a bit. It is just natural for them to be a bit more on the aggressive side this time of year.

Just making your presence abundantly clear as to not startle them will help reduce the chance of them biting a great deal. So before trying to handle them or doing any maintenance in the enclosure, make sure your snake is absolutely aware of your presence. That is no guarantee that they wont bite this time of year, but it *can* help.

Also, not all females are going to react this way. Many dont and others will vary in just how aggressive they become this time of year. Snakes are individuals and as always, the more time you spend with yours the more you will learn all of your individual snakes little idiosyncrasies.

13. DreamingOfDragons

DreamingOfDragons Member

kudos on the first bite...bites never usualy hurt but they do bleed nicely! My first bite was by my female dumeril's ground boa...my sister was petting while i was holding her..and wham! outta no where she strikes and gets my nose...i actually saw her tense up like a half a second before she struck but didn't have time to get out of the way....my nose bled for around 5 minutes before i could get it to stop

[​IMG]

^^ is a pic of my female dumeril's..

14. Fiddlinboy

Fiddlinboy New Member

wow :!: thats a really nice snake!

15. EmilyL

EmilyL New Member

haha no kidding! She eats like a freakin pig! But I definitly learned not to just reach in like everything is ok lol. I had been thinking of a snake hook for sometime now...but think i should actuallly invest now :p

I definitley have to agree with that one! It did bleed pretty darn good! Now its just all bruised. (nice looking snake btw)

thanks...its prolly one of my favoritest that i got (that one and my dragon hehe)

16. scoutrecon

scoutrecon New Member

yeah i have been bitten by a red tail boa and a ball python neither of them really hurt that bad but the definitely bleed alot. By the way thats a nice looking snake

17. DreamingOfDragons

DreamingOfDragons Member

glad for you that its only brusied now...my bite reopened twice before it finaly healed.

and thanks for the comments on my dumeril's...she's very eyecatching cause when i use to hold her at the place i got her from i'd have 4 to 5 people come up to me and ask what type of snake she is and how big she'll eventually get. She's my beautiful girl..her name which is Divana(Dee-van-a) means beautiful in siberian.

18. pythonregius76

pythonregius76 New Member

Chomp Chomp

Congrats - I am sure it is only the first of many you will eventually receive. Bps, Red Tails etc tend to be pretty laid back so when it does happen it can be something of a surprise - if you want to try a real risky game get into ATB, ETB or GTP - they can definitely leave a permanent scar.

DreamingOf Dragons - sweet Dumerils - I have a male with some really sweet pink blushing - if I can ever get him to sit still for more than 2 seconds I will post a couple of pics.

Like Sammy was saying - they can be a little odd during the winter months - the cost of feeding tends to drop - but the price of band-aids can sometimes go up a bit.

19. Radena

Radena New Member

RE: Chomp Chomp

Well I wish I had not heard this story. I was just starting to get comfortable with my New BP.
    Now I am back to being nervous again. Back to useing the hook I guess.
    And keeping my fingers together. Do not want them looking like mice.
    And watching out for my nose, too. I guess forwarned is a good thing.
    But Now I will not want my grandson to hold it for fear it may bite him.
    And his mother would be none to happy I am sure. Since she thinks
    I am pretty weird grandmother in the first place.
    LOL
    Radena

20. EmilyL

EmilyL New Member

Welll, I don't think I would worry about it biting after its out of the cage. The reason I think she struck is I feed her in the same cage that I house her in. And so she probably has associated the lid opening w/ food coming in. The last couple times I've fed her she like dove out of the cage to crab the rat before I could even dumb it into her tank. So I think this has to do with why she got me. But once she is out, she is fine. Everyone thinks i am weird anyway for owning snakes...they always say 'what kind of girl are you...thats just not normal' or 'girls aren't supposed to like that kind of stuff'

21. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

What a joyous occasion. ^_^ I remember my last snakebite. It was a bite to the face from one of my 5+ foot Black Rat Snakes. Ahh memories.

22. DreamingOfDragons

DreamingOfDragons Member

pythonregius76- Divana's got some really nice pink blushing as well the pic just doesn't show it...she got alot around the the base of her neck that extends down her neck for around 2 inches

23. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Unless the only time you get in the cage is to feed it, then that is completely false. A real keeper is in their cage almost daily changing water and cleaning, etc. You are in their cage less for feeding than any other reason, so why would they associate that to you being in their cage?

If you want to use that logic, then they should be thinking you are in their cage bringing fresh water since you should be in their cage 3 or 4 times a week for that and only once a week for food.

I have fed in the cage since 1980 and have never been bit in the cage except by neonates (aka newborns, which are the most nippy of any Ball Pythons you will ever run across). I have never been bit by a juvi or adult in their cage ever and I have 17 Balls.

24. EmilyL

EmilyL New Member

She is always at the warm end of her cage, the water is at the other end. I change her water all the time, but usually i put her food at the warm end where she is so she can get it right away. And I have her out daily so who knows...maybe she was just in a bad mood

25. Radena

Radena New Member

I do feed in the same cage, kinda. I have a moist hide box in the encloser. And that is where I feed her.
    When I want her. I lift out the Pampers box. And open the lid. And when I first got her I used a wire hook
    to pick her up out of the moist hide box. Now I use my hand. And I always wait 24 to 48 hours after eating before I handle
    her.
    Thank you for easing my mind.
    Radena