She got me!

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by EmilyL, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Pat123

Pat123 New Member

dam that bite looks sick...my brother had 2 ball pythons 1 died idk how we woke up and its head was in the water dish...the other one we gave away..his name was busta rhymes...yea he was a pig too...nvr got bit tho came close tho cuz i would feed it in its tank but i got smart and used tongs..i dont wanna take a chance...i think ball pythons r awesome snakes i wish my parents would et me get one...i have a crested gecko hes chill as hell...well good luck wit ur ball python...shes beautiful....nice tat too...good stuff

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Melinda666

Melinda666 New Member

This is also the time of year that breeding size females, eat like monsters!! I truly don't know where they put it but my breeder girls are usually happy with 1 large rat, in the pre-breeding, they want 2 or 3. And since they are my breeders, they get what they want. After they stop eating for egg laying and eggs are laid, they go back to their normal 1 large rat a week.

If I open a tub and it looks like someone is gonna nail me. I do the "talk to the hand" manuever. Flat open hand pushed in their direction at their face and they usually back off and realize it's not food.

Been bit dozens of times, even get bit on purpose to show people it's not as bad as you would think. Got nailed today by a bearded that thinks she can boss her owner around.

50+ snakes, lost count after 50......

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

We on this site maybe strange but it's a big plus for a female to actually WANT to care for snakes, atleast IMO. So to answer their question, what kind of girl are you? The best kind lol.

Nice bite, you are probably right about why it happened as I've noticed similar behavior in the same situation where a snake has been fed in its "house".

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. punkrck1013

punkrck1013 Member

Yeah snake bites aren't so bad. I am more afraid of getting bit by the rats we feed the snakes.....happened yesterday....it hurt bad! lol. And I am a girl and I care for snakes too, I lost a job because my boss found out that I like snakes. He was like "oh...I used to think you were normal then you come out holding a snake...man" Yeah if someone honestly has that big of a problem with people owning snakes, I don't really think I want to associate with them anyways. I mean being scared of them is one thing, but I was at my house in my own environment, so he shouldn't have made that big of a deal about it. I think it's cool though because I always throw people off when I tell them about my snakes.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. burky_tc

burky_tc Member

Wait you got fired for that! I dont think that legal. I think thats along the lines of not being able to fire someone cuz there a girl, or a certain race or overweight and what not. That sucks though.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. weostan

weostan New Member

What? poor snakes

12. punkrck1013

punkrck1013 Member

Unfortunately burky I was just working for a guy who owned his own dog kennels and he hired me to look after all the dogs while he went away to shows. So there isn't anything I can do about it = But it took me a while to realize why he never called me again, lol but it was definately the snake thing.

13. spix14

spix14 Member

People are dumb. *Is also a girl*

14. Melinda666

Melinda666 New Member

:roll:

15. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

Once again, agree with shrap 100% that is a common misconception. I have never been bitten by any of my BPs, and I feed in cage as well

16. callmebruce

callmebruce New Member

i too am a girl with a big love for these snakes and i would have to say i get plenty of strange looks when i mention my baby.

17. deborahbroadus

deborahbroadus New Member

It's been a while since I have posted. I have 31 balls now. Feed them in their racks and have never been bitten yet. The neonates can be striky till them calm down, but since I am aware of this and on guard, I haven't been tagged yet, and don't intend to if I can help it! :D

18. longviewbplover

longviewbplover Embryo

I got my first tag last night. We was at the pet store picking up some mice for our snakes. We know one of the girls who works there and is an avid snake lover(owns 9 herself), she was showing a few balls they got in to me. She got one out and told me he was striking at her earlier in the evening. She handed it to me it was quietly sitting in my hand then out of know where, BAM!! It got my middle finger on the tip. It happened so fast, it didn't hurt, felt like sandpaper rubbing against my skin LOL. Then I started laughing about it, I thought it was abit funny. So I guess I got my first one out of the way LOL

19. Radena

Radena New Member

Maybe it was hungary and your finger looked like a pinky mouse. Also what did you handle before maybe it smelled good too.

20. bigboy

bigboy New Member

i suppose you can look at it in 2 ways: 1. if you feed in the cage, the snake may think its feeding time everytime your hand enters the enclosure, but if you put your hands in for water changing and spot cleanin, the snake will not always think its feeding time as shrap said.
    2. if you feed in another enclosure you have 2 pick up your snake and trnasport it to the other enclosure, the snake may then think when you pick him/her up its feeding time, but then if you also handle your snake often ( but not too much), it will associate interactive with something else and not just feeding time :) .

one question i have is, i've not been bitten by a snake as of yet, so what should i do if my snake bites me and wont let go? cheers

21. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Bite it back.

22. deborahbroadus

:) That would work! :lol:

You could also keep a spray bottle of vinegar and spray that in its face, but for the babies, this is not a concern. It is mainly a concern for the giants. :shock:

23. Kogut

Kogut New Member

Yeah, a baby really isn't going to do too much damage. Some people swear by any type of alcohol poured on the mouth. The snake knows you're not small enough to eat, so it's most likely not going to hang on for long. With one so small, you could probably just grab them behind the jaw.

As far as feeding, I'm a firm believer in out-of-tank feedings. I feed in a cardboard box lined with a layer of paper towels. The snake knows when it gets in the box that it is going to be fed. In regards to your question about "if I get picked up, it's feeding time," I really only think this would be a problem if the snake is hardly ever handled. I personally will take my 2' ball out and handle him for at least an hour on feeding day. I put him back in his tank, prepare the FT rat, wash my hands, put the snake in the box :))), and supply the meat.

I really think that if you're going to have a snake, the only way to keep it tame is to continue to handle it. I see far too many people posting about being scared that their snake will bite them. If you're scared of being bitten or squeezed, then don't buy a snake. Those baby ball pythons are so cute until they get 5' long and the girth of a coke can. :lol:

24. deborahbroadus

Have you ever seen the look on a baby balls face after it has tagged? It' looks like it's saying, "Oh ****!" They promptly let go and then they are stressed because they bit the wrong thing! :)

25. Kogut

Kogut New Member

Of course. They are obviously unable to eat this giant thing they've just bit, and most likely think they are about to be on the receiving end of a bite.