shedding probs

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by jayhay, Mar 27, 2006.

1. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

OK, I am getting worried about Moe. I have posted pics before of the weird band on his tail, and now he has alot of peeling skin on his face and body. They are like little flaps of skin that are peeling off. he has had some for a few weeks, and this weekend he had a bunch more. Some fell of, but others are still there. Do uros shed all at once, or is this normal?

Here is a pic of the weird band on his tail---could it be tail rot? what should I do, I just adopted him this month
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Fearl3ss465

Fearl3ss465 Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Fearl3ss465

Fearl3ss465 Member

May I ask what your temps are? Also, you have to read the whole page. Hope this helps!!!!!

John

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

hmm, this does sound like my situation. I am going to try the soaking thing.....he is a big tail whipper though, hopefully he doesn't take my hand off! Oh, and temps are dead on, 120

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Fearl3ss465

Fearl3ss465 Member

Just wondering what kind of bulbs do you use cuz when I get mine I what his temps to be right on? Do you use a MVB

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Fearl3ss465

Fearl3ss465 Member

You might try putting on leather gloves and ding it that way or with a towel well handling his tail

12. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

no, but an MVB is not necessary for a uro. He has the proper UV lighting and a basking light.

I am going to try to work the skin off his tail this week. I spoke to his old owner yesterday, and he said that the skin has only been there for two months. Hopefully the skin underneith is still healthy.

Has anyone here ever had this problem?

13. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

I haven't had the tail problem but the first time I saw Buddha shed he looked like a lepor. It's not a pretty process. But completely normal for them to shed in pieces. Have you tried the bath yet? I think that's your best bet if you know it's a bad shed.

14. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I am going to try the bath tonight. yeah, the lepor metaphor is dead on! It is kinda shocking, especially when compared to geckos, who just pull it off in one piece and eat it! Some of the dry skin looks like it is loose around the edge, I am hoping that it won't be too hard to get off.

15. Fearl3ss465

Fearl3ss465 Member

Did he take your hand off????? My beardie jumped of my hand to my sister and I try to take him off and he smaked in her eye wiht his tail and now she has a black eye LOL Tails deadly

16. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

ok, so we bathed Moe this morning. Most of the skin came off, and now he just has a little bit in the grooves. And the skin that is left is not all yellow and yucky. I am going to give him another week, and try bathing again to get the rest off. As for the bath itself, yeah, he wasn't too impressed, but he never once tail-slapped my hand. He just made a huge sceen, spashing water all over the place!

17. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

What a good boy! Sounds like you have it under control. How does the tail look?

18. Fearl3ss465

Fearl3ss465 Member

Well I hope my post helped I am new to Uros. and just thought I could take a stab at this

19. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

reptiles4me, tail looks great! He has a little bit of skin left in the grooves, but it is clear now. Actaully, you can't even see where the skin was really. His tail is all nice and black again. All it took was some warm water and a lot of q-tips. Ever since I got moe I was putting it off b/c I was afraid that he would take my hand off, but he was so calm. Plus, it got off alot of the dust and dirt that was on his skin from being kept on sand for the last 4 years.

20. Koda

Koda Embryo

hiya Jay, i read the post that you were reffered to for the tail shedding problem, Koda also has build up of 'sheds' on his tail. How hot did you make the water and how long did you soak it each time? did you apply oil to its tail after the soak? Just curious as I would like to help Koda with her tail.
    thank you
    Tanya

21. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I bathed him at about 115 for just a few moments (sounds like a turkey!) He wasnt going to last much longer than that, as he started splashing and looking generally displeased, lol. I didnt use oil, I just gently worked the skin off with a wet q-tip. I found that this method worked really well, and there is just a little bit left, so i am going to bath him next weekend to try and get that off too.

22. Koda

Koda Embryo

thank you very much, i dont think you can stuff a mali can you? :)

i will give it a shot with Koda, I imagine he will not be too happy with me once it is done, but perhaps he will forgive me in the long run :)
    Would you happen to know what causes this?
    I bought Koda from a local reptile store, they said he was an adult, full grown, but i am not sure, he is 9/10 inches long. He had been in the store for just over a month, and they never really actually told me where he came from, i got a story, but with no ending really.

23. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I got Moe as a rescue, so I didn't see it develop. As near as I can tell, it is built up shed. Sometimes they have a bad shed, and a piece doesnt come off. If that piece is not removed right away, then the next shed just builds up on top. With time, the skin underneith can die, so it is important to get it off asap -this is what I have been told, and what I have found from research, good luck!

24. Koda

Koda Embryo

oh no, I would hate to see Koda go through anything that is bad. I will start the soaking on him after dinner.
    His nose and cheek took a while to shed, but eventually he rubbed it off on one of his rocks, I wish he would figure out to rub his tail on his rock.
    Do you know how often they shed? i thought koda shedded in pieces nose to tail because his face seems to shed the qucikest, but i am not sure of how often they shed or how long the shedding process is. Any thoughts?

25. maliuromastyx

maliuromastyx Embryo

My uro has problems shedding and i soak he regularly what do you guys suggest