She's eating herself alive O.O

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Ezzi, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Ezzi

Ezzi New Member

My gecko lost her tail awhile ago... well it grew back, however the nerves in it didn't seem to work. So she ate it off. Then she regrew it a third time and the nerves seem fine... but she's picking at herself and has started eating herself again.... Last time she bit it off and ate it- quickly (spanning maybe an hour), she's been doing this for days.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ezzi

Ezzi New Member

RE: She

Help?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

The only thing I can recommend is taking your leo to see a qualified reptile vet. This is not a simple husbandry, diet issue, etc. You need to go talk to a pro.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bandedgecko

bandedgecko Well-Known Member

how do you know the nerves didnt work could she not move it?
    It must be bothering her.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

definitley see a vet. This doesn't sound like a simple everyday problem.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. LeoDee

LeoDee Well-Known Member

How did she lose her tail in the first place? I actually have heard of this happening before. Some theories are infection (and the leo tries to take care of the problem), or that the leo is trying to replinish fat reserves from losing the tail the first time around. Take her to a veterinarian asap! I'm hoping you took her the first time she did this?

12. Ezzi

Ezzi New Member

When she broke it the first time the bottome half couldn't move and didn't respong when touched (which is why we thing there was nerver damage). I took her to a vet the first time and the second time. I've talked to the vet and he says that he doesn't know what could be wrong, he suggesting fushing it with Hydroperoxide and put the silver stuff on it which I've done... it still looks really bad. He thought it could be infection too- but how could it be in the middle for her tail (which is healed and healthy looking)? When she ate it off the 2nd time she did eat the whole thing for the fat I would assume.... I don't really have the money right now to take her in... Over the last year she's had so many issues that it's probably costed in to the $600. And in the past the vet hasn't known what to do anyway.

13. steve75

steve75 Well-Known Member

You've got me completely stumped (and apparently your vet too). I'd think about asking one of the breeders that has been in the leopard gecko game a long time (Ron Tremper, for example) and see if perhaps they have any hands-on experience with such issues. Those guys are knowledgable and are a huge help in most cases.

14. wega

wega New Member

Wow, i know alot of people who would probley just got a new gecko. But you must really love he/she

15. baby_gemini

baby_gemini Member

i agree with steve .. talk to a breeder .. there is one in ontario at www.theurbangecko.com just them they may be able to help you .. they seem very friendly .. hope they can help

16. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

This is a very strange happening, and yes I would try to conatact one of those breeders for advice.

17. Ezzi

Ezzi New Member

Who is ron tremper?

18. bandedgecko

19. mandatorychaos

mandatorychaos Member

You could also try finding a different vet in your area. Different Vets have different experiences and may know what's going on.

20. begunwithaletter

begunwithaletter Well-Known Member

could a mineral deficiency cause a leo to cannibalize itself?

21. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

Probably not. Mineral deficiencies usually don't cause psychotic symptoms like that... yikes. I'd get a new vet, if I were you. Eating her tail all the time is an issue that needs to be resolved...

22. bandedgecko

The tail growing back must itch or be uncomfortable. Might be a little sore
    or painful. You know when dogs will chew at a wound when it itches or is
    a little painful. This has got to be the case with your leo. It must be
    causeing her some discomfort so she is chewing at it to relieve herself.
    Can you stop her from getting to it. Like wrap it up or put a cone on her
    neck.

23. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

Re: RE: She

I was thinking the same thing :D The first thing that came to my mind was that wierd white thing they put around dogs heads.

24. sterkrazzy

sterkrazzy New Member

RE: Re: RE: She

In this case would be wrong to make the leos tail fall off again? I'm just giving a complete guess, but if it's an infection, what if you made it fall off again and put neosporin on it with the proper sanitary measures to be sure it heals correctly. I don't think its anything I'd do til some more people responded to this though, it could be a stupid idea lol.

25. Ezzi

Ezzi New Member

RE: Re: RE: She

the next closest one is an hour away... The tail has been grown back...