She's eating herself alive O.O

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Ezzi, Sep 30, 2006.

1. _1gecko

_1gecko Embryo

This is 2 weeks too long. Ezzi, you need to cut the tail or have someone do it. I've seen this and in many instances have had to stimulated a tail drop myself. It's not easy and is extremely stressful for the gecko.

Your gecko is suffering terribly and obviously the vets you've visited are not doing much to help. There is clear evidence of infection and no amount of peroxide, neosporine, silver sulfasalazine is going to help it heal, period. The infection is probably widespread and throughout the bloodstream.

If it were my gecko, I'd first stimulate another drop close to the pelvic region, leave it exposed to heal properly (no ointments/peroxide), take extreme sanitary action (clean enclosure daily), take out the damp nest/hide box (a breeding ground for bacteria to enter an open wound), do not handle her, give her extra nutritional support, and keep her in a quiet place with a constant 85F heat source.

If this does not remedy the situation within the regeneration period, your only other option is to have her euthanized.

I didn't read through all of the threads, but if you haven't already done so, consider having a biopsy done to first rule out cancer.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I was amazed to hear that you've been through this before 1 gecko. It was sounding hopeful to me until you mentioned that she should be kept at a constant 85F. Why so low? Regular geckos need 88-91 to digest food, so wouldn't 85F be bad for her?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ezzi

Ezzi New Member

hmm... I'm going to take her to the vet within the next few weeks, I'll suggest then that they take the tail.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. favrefan12

favrefan12 Member

Your leo could be dead in the next few weeks. If you can't take her, make her drop the tail by yourself. There's nothing else for it. If you want her to live, you have to get rid of the tail.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. iGorx

iGorx Member

there is no "drop the tail on command option", geckos dont drop their tails when they feel like it.

i have no idea favrefan12 how in the world you came to that conclution....if he were to try it would greatly stress the gecko and possibly kill him.

Ezzi why are you waiting so long? take her ASAP, or she could die from infection