should i give my gator snapper any supplements

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by conny63malies, Oct 27, 2007.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Member

Since three weeks i am the owner of a little gator snapper.s/he lives in a 30G tank with bare bottom ... everything as i learned from the book and internet, and yes i know how big they get and i am prepared. it eats guppies and when we have liver or chicken a cut a unprepared piece of that. should i give (and how any supplements) if yes which ones?since the last time i posted i also upgraded to a better reptisun bulb and take her sometimes outside in the shade into a waterfilled tub.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Yes, you should. Because this is a reptile in captivity, it's diet is never going to have the variety it would get in the wild to help with that.

Just like with any other reptile, calcium, cal+D3, and a multi vitamin. Some people can cheat some with pellets, but often times that's still not enough.
    For calcium, you can give it plain pieces of cuttle bone. More creative ways to get vitamins into the diet would be to make gelatin cubes with meat, some grated veggies, and a little vitamins sprinkled in. These wouldn't be quite as messy as just dipping it into powder or a liquid supplement.

I've also heard of people injecting liquid supplements into insects...yuck.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Member

i might be able to prekill some guppies to sneak in the supplements . i think its easier than making whee little jello meat cubes. is there any supplement in particular that you recommend?