sick lizard

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by jrdavis1, Jun 24, 2004.

1. jrdavis1

jrdavis1 Embryo

my chameleon is sick as has been for a month to two months he has been getting gray spots on him and his eye swoll shut it has recently opened but is crusty now. he has running water and gets his calcium. if anyone know anything please inform me thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. IronButterFly

IronButterFly New Member

I would take it to a veterinarian ASAP if you have not already done so. I don't own a Chameleon so I can't suggest much but from what you have explained it doesn't sound so good.Hopefully someone will post soon and help you out futher. I hope everything works out!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cheriT3719

cheriT3719 New Member

You really can't mess around with chameleons. I would get him to the vet right away. Too many people wait and end up having their chammy die.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. pretty-leo

pretty-leo Embryo

ok describe the crust on his eye, what is the temp in your tank? and how many times a day do you mist him?and what your humidity like? most likly its a humidity problem and he migth not be shedding properly but let me know

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jrdavis1

jrdavis1 Embryo

i mist him two to three times a day. the tank is about 90-95 at the top and gets to be about 75-80 at the bottom. he sheds at least once a month. the crust around his eye is a gray and when he sheds it stays the same color.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. caliking

caliking New Member

dysecdysis-the inability to shed properly. try bathing the eye in warmish water. it may come of like this. The grey spots could be the clour that he has changed becuase he is ill or it cloud be skin

12. IronButterFly

IronButterFly New Member

How's your Chameleon doing JR? I hope everything is better. Keep us updated.

13. jrdavis1

jrdavis1 Embryo

he just peeled the other day and his eye looks no better how do i help get it off he will not let me wash his eye he puffed up and tried to get away

14. pretty-leo

pretty-leo Embryo

jrdavis1- chameleons dont really like to be touched but what you can do to get the crust off is let him walk onto your hand get a cup off warm water and a few cotton swabs, dip it in to the water and wipe away from his eye GENTLY he will puff i had to do it to my chameleon not once, but let him freak but dont stress him out too much if it doesnt come off then keep doing it for the next couple of days it wil come off eventually

15. SIJewel

SIJewel Embryo

Hi,
    Was wondering how your chammy is?

16. herpslave

herpslave Member

Hmm I think I may get a chameleon or 2. After months of research....gasp again!

17. blink

blink New Member

its so fun to watch them catch their prey :D