Sick White's Tree Frog!

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by gecko_style, Aug 23, 2005.

1. gecko_style

gecko_style Embryo

I could use some advice about helping my WTF. (Im new to them)
    I work at a petshop which I have to admit usually takes good care of the herps but I know frogs are a lot more sensitive. Anyhow a shipment of 2 (near adult sized) WTF arrived, within a week one died and now the onther one has sores on the mouth, uper thigh and under the thigh.

They were in small tanks with what I believe was way too much moisture and nothing to climb on. The ground they sat on was soaked most of the day, and it was more like earth then coconut bark.

The vet said he's got a bacterial infection and Ive been giving him a shot of baytril for the past 5 days, he's got 3 more days left of it.

Im keeping him currently on newspaper with something to hide under and branches to climb on (something I havent seen him do yet) and a water dish to soak in. I use aquatize water conditioner by exo terra.
    Ive been using a 50watt red heat bulb during the day and nothing at night.

Id like to get him a 40 or 50 watt zoo med day bulb instead, or should I?

How moist should I be keeping this while I try and heal his sores? They look like they are healing over and were probably caused by too much moisture, now Im worried to overdo the moisture again which is why he is on newspaper right now.

I'll try and get pics of him up soon,any help would be appreciated because if he gets better I plan on buying him ;)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

The wattage of the heat bulb depends on the size of the cage. A 20 gallon tall would be ideal for one WTF and a 50 watt daylight bulb and a 50 watt red/night light bulb should be fine. To help control humidity, try using coconut bedding and just misting the cage a couple of times a day with a spray bottle. Offer him a large clean dish of water (change the water everyday) and plenty of climbing area (foliage for hiding, a couple of branches for climbing) and he should be fine. With the sores on his legs and stomach, he may not be able to climb easily or it may be uncomfortable. Check out the threads below this one about WTF's...most if not all of the answers to any questions you could have should be in those!