Sinolan Milk Snake Care Sheets

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by Bunny, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I just got a milk. About 15 inches long, just shed, was being fed live pinkies. I hope to switch to F/T ASAP since I have nowhere to buy live pinkies. I have a corn and a ball python which have been doing well. Does anybody know where I can find a good care sheet? Right now s/he is in a 29g Repquarium with locking screen lid. Aspen Shavings, Under tank Heater, Two hides and a waterdish. Temps and humidity would be my biggest questions.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ReveWalker

ReveWalker New Member

The general temps for both milksnakes and kingsnakes of the Lampropeltis genus are about 75*F on the cooler side to 85*F on the warmer side. Nighttime temperatures can drop a little lower since they are a temperate species.
    Make sure your UTH only covers about a 1/3 of the tank so that the snake has options for where it wanst to go, and the hides should be on either side (but you probably already knew that since you're caring for a corn and ball python :) ).

As for humidity, you don't have to worry so much about that. The water bowl in the enclosure will provide adequate humidity, unless they are going into shed. In that case, you can just buy a misting bottle and spray the enclosure daily to bump up the humidity and aid in the shedding process. As for data, my humidity right now for my milk is at 55%.

Here's a link to a pretty thorough caresheet:

http://www.lihs.org/files/caresheets/sheet5.htm

Hope that helps! Best of luck with the little guy.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Thanks, My set up seems to be right. I was worried because they were feeding him live but he has already eaten a F/T pinkie and I will try a F/T fuzzy next.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. reako45

reako45 Member

I don't know what the weather's like in Indiana where you are. I'm in the San Fernado Valley in SoCal, and the weather here is very dry. For my '05 Sinaloan I use Eco earth as a substrate. It holds more humidity which my Sin seems to LOVE. W/ the aspen I was having incomplete sheds. I've been down to Mazatlan, Mexico which is part of their native range, and the weather there can be quite humid, so keeping proper humidity is a concern. Visit the Milksnake forum over on www.kingsnake.com. There are quite a few breeders that hang out over there if you have any questions not covered by care sheets. Also Robert Applegate wrote IMHO the definitive book on Milks. I read it before buying Redd, my Sinaloan. Best of luck.

reako45

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I have not had the milk long enough to have it shed yet. In the store he had a good complete shed. I will wait and see how his first shed at home goes and switch substrate if he has an incomplete shed. My corn and ball both shed better when I switched to aspen from repticarpet. The milk is my most active snake and does not hide as much as my other snakes. So far I'm a very happy camper.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Hey Bunny, Elkhart here. Always nice to see a local! :)

12. Bunny_Too

Bunny_Too New Member

Hey wideglide, I actually work in Elkhart at Elkhart General Hospital ( I'm a therapist). Is wideglide a reference to a Harley or are you "big" guy. Eitherway I fit in, I'm a fat middleaged guy who rides a Triumph Bonneville.

13. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

try posting some pics of your little guy ;)

14. improvius

improvius New Member

Weird - I grew up in Elkhart. Graduated from Central. Used to work at Volcano Pizza. I'm living in NY now, though, so I don't get back to Indiana very often.

15. Bunny

Bunny New Member

small world, my wife went to concord and loves volcano's. I grew up in Michigan and both my wife and I graduated from U of M, we moved down here because the cost of living (esp. Housing) is so cheap.

16. wideglide

LOL, I actually work in Goshen at Salem Insurance on Lincolnway.

Holy cow. I cannot believe two people from this area in two days! Bunny I did have a Harley Wideglide but sold it last fall. I'm a pretty big guy too though.

Improvius I graduated from Central in 91. I had Volcanos last week!

17. improvius

improvius New Member

Wow, I graduated in 88. Did you ever work on the student paper or play soccer?

18. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

soccer oh come on lads its called football :D

19. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Ahh the good old UK vs US debate: SOCCER OR FOOTBALL?!?! :D

20. improvius

improvius New Member

Re: RE: Sinolan Milk Snake Care Sheets

Not in Indiana, it ain't.

21. wideglide

RE: Re: RE: Sinolan Milk Snake Care Sheets

LOL! No I didn't work on the paper or play SOCCER. :) My sister Jill graduated in 89 and Jennifer in 86.

22. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

hey the english invented it so they can name it lol :)

hows he gettin on bunny?

23. wideglide

Yeah Bunny how is your Sinaloan doin'? Ever have any problems I'd be glad to stop by and help if I can. Just let me know.

24. Bunny_Too

Bunny_Too New Member

The milk just shed sunday night, it was a clean shed but I was surprised how long it took to shed after it turned blue (over a week) I had thought he had shed and the skin was hidden somewhere in the substrate. He actually ate twice while he was in shed (my corn and ball won't eat when in shed. My wife is going to take pics of all of our animals this weekend and I am going to try and figure out how to post them so hopefully I can send pics of all the herps and probably the scorpion by sunday night.

25. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

cool! glad hes doin ok :)
    I have changed my pueblans substrate to coco-husk to aid humidity which should aid his shedding! As for pictures its ded easy and im sure you will figure it out in NO time!