size of black and white columbian tegus?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by bone_crusher, Dec 25, 2006.

1. bone_crusher

bone_crusher Embryo

i have a baby black and white columbian tegu i was just wondering if someone could post a picture of them holding an adult columbian so i could see the size in comparison. thanks in advance

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Kiyo

Kiyo Embryo

Well you shouldn't be able to hold an adult. I work at a Reptile Shop and we have a full grown male. He's about 4 1/2 foot long including tail and well he looks like if he is hungry enough he could eat a 6 year old human. They are big lizards, and you need to tame it before it grows. If it's aggressive you will need weilding gloves, and that's just if he is a baby. Bascially, if you don't tame him your going to be scrathed up and your hand will be in serious danger. Columbians grow up to be very agressive most of the time. Some of the babies will give you a nasty bite as well. One literally ripped is ownser hand, the wound was about and inch deep becuase hte thing keep thrashing. Where did you get the wee beastie from? Did you meet the parents to see if they were tame and to find out if the breeder was good to its animals? If he wasn't or you can't get a hold of him try an find someone local who can help you tame your pet. I can't stress how important this is.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. crocdoc

crocdoc New Member

Columbian tegus don't get to 4 1/2 feet. More like 3 feet.

Good luck finding the breeder, too, as most of them are wild caught. Very few are bred in captivity, unlike the Argentinian tegus.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Doric

Doric Embryo

I agree with crocdoc. If you have a Columbian it should get to 3 - 3 1/2 feet max and weigh about 8 - 9 pounds.

If it is an Argentine Black & White then that's different. The Argentine Black and White Tegu, Tupinambis merianae, is the larger species, most reach 4 feet long and can reach over 15 pounds in weight. However some can get as big as 5 feet if in good condition. Males are much larger and heavier than females.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bone_crusher

bone_crusher Embryo

thanks all

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ameivaboy

Ameivaboy New Member

well not an adult but getting there she is about 20" in this pic
    [​IMG]
    she's a freindlier teguixin