Skinny Savannah Monitor

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by monsterluis, Aug 5, 2012.

1. monsterluis

monsterluis New Member

Today about 3 hours ago i just bout a, supposedly 5 month old savannah monitor, she is tamed and very active but is super super skinny, i worried that i might have bought a sick one. The owner was some kid and he said he just fed him a pinky mouse. I tried feeding him but he wont eat. Im just worried and don't know to do. Im an experience snake keeper, i have boas and pythons and on gecko, so this is my first monitor need advice !!!

Attached Files:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. monsterluis

monsterluis New Member

bought*

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Well, I really know nothing on moniters, but I did want to comment that with any reptile/amphibian generally, it takes time for them to get used to their new environment, so she is very unlikely to eat right away especially and it will most likely take some time to get her back to health. It may take a few days, or possibly longer even, before he could feel comfortable enough to settle and eat and all.

It is also possible that she could have a parasite of somekind, but you wouldn't want to jump to conclusions yet. If she acts lethargic and still refuses to eat, or not eat enough, then you should be concerned and get her checked out.

I wish I could help more, but this isn't my specialty, sorry! I hope she starts getting better soon! I'm sure another member on here that is more knowledgable will help.
    And also, Welcome to the Boards! Though, the circumstances aren't good, hopefully you'll like it here and get your problems solved! I know I do! :) Feel free to share about your other guys and update us on how this guy does!

monsterluis likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. monsterluis

monsterluis New Member

Thank you so much :D

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Simpleyork

Simpleyork New Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Simpleyork

Simpleyork New Member

what are the temps you are keeping him at?
    how large is the enclosure he is in?
    what is your humidity?

Ambient should be around 80's
    basking surface temp around 140 F
    enclosure the bigger the better 8x4x4 is a good start as when they are kept right they grow really fast my sav's are doing an inch every ten days about when on growths spurts as is my ornate
    Humidity should be high 60's to 100% depending on the part of the cage (burrows will naturally be higher humidity)

And please let the monitor be, handling can stress them, especially if they are not in perfect condition. Monitors will be monitors they are not house cats.