Sleepy gecko

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by smithers86, Jan 5, 2009.

1. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

My bad TAL it was $24 but it was still cheap. To purchase an entire new habitat with hides and water dish and lights the total cost was like $216 :D Yeah, there goes a weeks pay probably. But Fred has so far eaten 2 of the 5 large crickets in his new enclosure and Fred I think is a special one, as he only can catch the legs of the dusted crickets..lol. No tail wagging, but poor Fred is wigging out, but he'll just get used to his enclosure. Thanks for all the advise. I will deffinately keep everyone updated on there situation.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MimC

MimC Moderator

If the enclosure is new it can take a few days to a week for the leo to get used to his new surroundings :D

Keep us posted - pics would be great *hint hint* lol

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

I know, but as of right now my camera is not working. I will deff keep you all posted.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

I keep hearing about this calcium powder, the pet store I go to only has calcium dust infused with other vitamens and nutrients. Where can I find pure calcium powder? Do I need to order it online, if so what site should I use?

Thanks.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MimC

MimC Moderator

i think lllreptile has rep-cal pure calcium and rep-cal vitamin supplements etc for sale

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

Is that a store or a website? I have not heard of that store ever.

12. MimC

MimC Moderator

its online

lllreptile.com

just google "rep-cal" you will find tons of it on various websites. They have a pure calcium variety, a variety with D3 and a multi-vit

13. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

Thanks MimC. I have a supplement that I bought from the store: Flukers Dietary Supplement. Its ingerdients include: Limestone flour, flavor, D-activated animal sterol (thats the vitamen D-3). Can you give me a quick list of the supplements of what else I need like the powdered calcium to put in the dish and all that? I know I am probably annoying you with all these questions but it is really teaching me a lot and I thank you.

14. MimC

MimC Moderator

Its fine - no worries!

You want a pure calcium supplement, no d3, ni phosphorous etc etc (Rep-cal makes a great one, Jurrasi-Cal is a good one too!)

You want a calcium supplement with D3 (which it sounds like you already have)

And a multivitamin supplement.

Calcium should be available at all times in a dish. Baby leos should have their insects dusted daily with pure calcium, 1-2x weekly with D3, and weekly with vitamins :-D

15. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

Is smelly poo a bad sign? Both of my Leos have smelly poo. Should I worry?

16. MimC

MimC Moderator

Isnt necessarily a bad sign - although routine fecal cheks are a good idea, especially if there is any concern. Parasites can make fecals smell worse.

17. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

Is there a website that will help me find an exotic vet close to where I live? Is it necessary to collect fresh samples? Or will dried samples work just as good. The droppins are well formed and not at all a bit runny. I got mmy Leos about a week ago and thay are about 4" long. About what length will I be able to find out if they are actually Fred and Barney and not Pebbles and BamBam. (As you can see, I really like the Flintstones). To be honest I have no clue how old they are, all I know is that they are still Juveniles.

Thanks again

Oh, one more thing. Could you give me a recommendation of the Calcium and Multivitamen Supplement I should use?

18. MimC

MimC Moderator

www.herpvetconnection.com www.arav.org - either site will help you find a reptile vet :-D

The fresher the feces the better! If you take a fresh sample and put it in a baggie and then in the fridge it will stay fresh until you can get it checked out.

You can tell sex between 6-12months old. Some males you can sex asa young as 6 months, sometimes it takes closer to 12months.

Here is a nice link for pictures on how to sex leos: http://www.reptilecare.com/leopardgender.htm

I personally like the Rep-Cal brands :-D

19. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

Do you think the vet can tell me the approximate age of my leos?

20. MimC

MimC Moderator

Quite likely.

If they are four inches from head to tail tip - and they came from the petstore then they are likely just a couple of months old.

21. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

Ok, so its safe to say they are 2-3 months old?

22. MimC

MimC Moderator

Probably right around that age - knowing petstores and their reputation for selling young geckos, and their care practices i would err on the side of two months :)

23. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

ok, thanks

24. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

One more issue, they are acting very lathargic during the day and the night, I have the probe on the warm end and it is at 94 too high? and the cool end is a nice 75, but its the cheap pet store thermometer so i do not know if it is accurate or not. Is there anything I can do for that, maybe tone the watts down or move the heat lamp more towars the middle of the take or a different bulb, I have a basking light for the heat bulb, maybe a different light will work better. I think I will try that but I thought I would let you know my plans and if you would do the same. Thanks.

25. MimC

MimC Moderator

The therm you are using - is it digital, or analog? If its digital, then the reading should be acurate. Is the probe on the substrate floor on the warm end?

If 94 is the floor temp its a little to hot, but not by much. If you can bring it down a couple degrees that would work, but 94 shouldnt cause any serious damage.

Are you using a heat pad, or a heat lamp to heat the tank?

Hasve you separated them into two different tanks yet?