Sleepy gecko

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by smithers86, Jan 5, 2009.

1. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

The therm is the probed one you said I should get and yes it is on the warm side, unfortunately it is placed under the lamp, but not by choice. I will get a different light and I will see the temp difference if there is any. I am not using a heating pad, I am using a heat lamp. The probe is under the Repti-carpet on the warm side. Yes, I have seperated them and they are in there own tanks, I tihnk one hates me cause it still waves its tail sometimes when it sees me :) About the lethargy, if it doesn't change, should I seek medical attention? It isn't bad, I mean they move around in the hides during the day and at night they move out into the light and might climb around and probably search for those yummy cirx I put in there. I hope this helps you help me.

You are so helpful and I thank you.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. coosiver

coosiver New Member

The probe should be on the hottest part of your tank, so if your lamp is your heat source, then that is where it should be. Get a dimmer and you can turn the bulb down a bit so it's not as hot.

Your leo doesn't sounds overly lethargic to me. Leos aren't overly active critters. Mine sleep most of the time, but they do have their active times. Remember, they are nocturnal so most of the day they are resting, and most of their activity you probably aren't going to see since it will be happening when you are asleep.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

I stayed up to watch their night time behavior and now i realize that I was just worried about their daytime behavior. I did notice that one loves his water dish at night as he is actively drinking and hinting at night and when I throw the unlucky crix into him and watch him bite the legs off first (my leo is sick and twisted like that) and then chases down the scurrying body and chomps him to bits. I am trying a new light (I was using a sopt light maybe thats why the temp was so high) to a daytime regular bulb same watts (100). I will keep everyone posted and when I have a camera to take pics, I will post them too. (I don't have to get a paid subscription to post pics do I?)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MimC

MimC Moderator

yes, these guys are definately more active at night then they are during the day :)

No you dont need a paid subscription to post pics :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

Ok thanks. I did not know that Leos urinated as they deficated, so I was worried about nothing, and maybe its the urine that smells funky not the poo.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. TAL

TAL Embryo

You should invest in an UTH at some point though just because it really helps in the digestion. That was the first thing I bought after I got the gecko..besides the tank I guess.

Yes, Post Pics!! I want to see! I will post mine a little later.

12. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

What size undertank pad should I buy, I have 2 20 gallon tanks, but the stand is an old card table and its like a plastic-like cover on top of what appears to be highly unforced cardboard, so I do not want to create a fire hazzard in my room.

13. MimC

MimC Moderator

You want a heat pad that will cover approx 1/4-1/3 of the bottom of the tank.

The heat pads will stick directly to the glass bottom, and they come with these little rubber feet to stick on the bottom of the tank so that the heat pad isnt lying on the stand and causing a fire hazard.

Also, when buying a heat pad you also need a device to control the heat output from them. Heat pads left uncontrolled can heat to well over 100 degrees, which is too hot.

You can purchase either a thermostat (available at the petstore) which is a device you plug the heat pad into and set the temp and it will control it for you, or you can purchase a plug in lamp dimmer at home depot - these are cheaper, but require more fiddling. YOu plug the heat pad into the dimmer and then use your digital thermometer to keep track of the temps and adjust the dial on the dimmer up and down as needed to maintain the proper temps.

14. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

So putting it under the substrate is not the ideal usage of the heat pad, and I would put it on the cooler end, but digestion seems to be fine, they stay on the warm side anyway and only go to the cooler end to hut at night and to get a drink of water. I could do all that but then I'd either have to buy another surge protector and all that and then I would be using a lot of energy. Can they be healthy without a UTH?

15. MimC

MimC Moderator

As long as the temps on the floor of the hot side are 88-92 degrees then you re fine. Leos do benefit from heat pads because they do well with belly heat. But many people raise them without heat pads. Personally i use heatpads controlled with dimmers, and no heat bulbs at all on all my leo tanks - i think the heat pads cost considerably less than a heat lamp.

Just some general info - all heat sources should be on one side of the tank, this allows them to have a hot and a cool side - you dont want to have a heat pad on one side and a heat lamp on the other side.

16. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

Ok, then that would make my hot end super hot, I think I will stay with the lamps cause I already have them. Thanks

17. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

So I tried a lower wattage and so far the temp is around 85 it might go up but if it doesnt should I go back to my bigger bulb?

18. MimC

MimC Moderator

Use the higher bulb with a plug in lamp dimmer to control the temp, that way you can adjust it to the perfect range.

19. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

A dimmer can be bought at any hardware store?

20. MimC

MimC Moderator

Yup - just ask them where the plug in lamp dimmers are :)

21. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

if u go to indonesia (i love my country yay) you can take that tank for a bit 10 - 12 USD
    but pets here are poor..

22. smithers86

smithers86 New Member

Ok, so I got my calcium without Phosphorous and D-3, how long will it take them to realize its in there?

23. MimC

MimC Moderator

You may never see them using it - most of the time they will do it at night when you arent around to see it. Some keepers claim their leos never use it, and then one day will randomally catch them licking the dish :)

Just make sure to keep supplementing the insects as well, then you are sure they are getting calcium, and allow them to regulate via the dish.

24. Jayme

Jayme New Member

I gently shake the calcium dish to level out the powder every so often. That way whenever my gecko licks it, there's visible evidence. You can see smoothed out little indents from their tongue. =] So if ya' wanna keep track, you could try that.

25. TAL

TAL Embryo

Yeah Ive never seen my leo lick the calcium but find little tongue marks. :)