slugs/snails

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Rees2, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Rees2

Rees2 New Member

Would it be ok to feed these to my Hermans Tortoise.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Why would you? it's a tortoise and does not need them. Plus considering how or where they're collected they can carry parasites.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

I'd agree with strange_wings. Apart from the fact it's a vegetarian and that they would be too high in fats and protien, there are the risks involved that the slug/ snail could be contaminated with parasites or pesticides.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Rees2

Rees2 New Member

I was thinking about feeding them to my tortoise because I have a book called TURTLES & TORTOISES FOR DUMMIES and it says in the wild that a Hermans Tortoise will eat slugs and snails so I was wondering if I could give my tortoise that to make his diet more natrule.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

More up to date info http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/articles.html

A lot of books, and even some care sheets online, can contain outdated information or just plain incorrect. Such as offering any meat/insect item to tortoises. While it's possible that they may eat snails in the wild it could likely be as a source of calcium or even moisture. In captivity we have to modify their diets a bit, calcium and moisture shouldn't be a concern for the tortoise searching for food since you should be already be providing this in appropriate amounts .