Snake Concerns

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Kiger, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Kiger

Kiger New Member

RE: Re: RE: Snake Concerns

I don't want one over $100 is the different colours are what makes it expensive i might as well get a regular old red. What do you mean by photo period? Like turn on the light for an hour at a time?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

No. They need light on for 8-10 hours a day so they actually know it's daytime. I believe they can get really screwed up I believe.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Kiger

Kiger New Member

.....hmmmm so when i start school again...7am through 3:30 pm....that will be exactly right? but then again if you have her outside or in a lighted room afterwards will it matter?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Kiger

Kiger New Member

Normal Corn
    het. Lavender
    (Male)
    Price: $25.00
    + shipping

i have found this snake from a local breeder.....but it's just trying to get my mom and dad to agree to get one. They say no.......but maybe if he's cheaper......

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Just be persistant. Show them what you KNOW. Show them this site. Ask them to sit down, and try to be open minded. But don't get annoying, don't fight. This worked for me.
    A hatchling is a very young snake. A juvie is more like a "teenage" snake. Little older then a baby.
    For a hatchling, you will want to keep it on paper towel (not shredded). This will make it easier to monitor the snakes waste, make sure it's healthy. You will also be able to safely feed in the tank, if you don't feel comfortable taking him out for each feeding.
    After you've confirmed that he's healthy, you can switch to aspen. To avoid the snake ingesting the aspen, place the food on a paper towel OR a paper plate.
    They do not need UVB but they do need a 10 hr light cycle, as Saucy said.
    They do need a heat pad, as well as a shallow water dish, 2 hides at least, and some plants and branches. AND a lid!!! With locks. This is very important, as they are known escape artists.
    You will also need a thermometer (with a probe), a thermostat and a hydrometer. All this will get pretty expensive. $32 will not cut it. The snake itself can be cheap depending on the age, colour, sex and breeder you get it from. My ADULT (7yrs) Okeetee male (ex breeder from Simon Fung, a Canadian corn breeder) was $150 alone. Hatchlings tend to be cheaper.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Kiger

Kiger New Member

the snake above is the one i want. He's not beautiful but i'm not getting him for a fashion show. Everytime i tell my mom about it and try to explain she comes up with something stupid like, it will eat the cats, erm yea...show me a picture of a corn eating a cat and i'll believe that. she knows nothng about snakes but is scared of them, all of a sudden.
    This is what i keep trying to say but she won't listen.
    I'll pay for the snake if she pays for the lighting, heating, and occasionally a mouse once a week. I will pay her back whenever i can, she can take it out of my christmas present cost or birthday,doesn't matter. A snake isn't that disgsting of an animal. it doesn't poop everyday. It doesn't dirty up it's cage.

I dunno i tihnk that might work. But what makes me mad is that she let my brother take $3000 from my grandpa to buy a old beat up truck......he won't pay him back so my mom will have to. Also she is always giving him money for gas and for repairs like every week. but she won't help me by paying about.....i dunno.....maybe $100 MAX to buy some stuff for the snake.

it's insane.

12. Samael

Samael New Member

well my mom wouldn't hear about me getting a snake, i even had one for a few days when i was like 6 and she got rid of it, but then i got a job and bought it without her knowing. She doesn't like it but.....she lets me have it. But good luck and just keep reasoning with her,.

13. Kiger

Kiger New Member

I'll try....maybe i can get one for christmas instead of a guitar.

14. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

Tell your mom that if you dont get a snake now you'll end up like me when you're older... endlessly searching for new reptiles to buy. Instead of working towards your future you will be counting days to reptile expos that are 4 months away and you;ll have more rubbermaids than a bored housewife. If you can get a snake now you can (maybe) get rid of herpititis before it becomes a problem further down the road. or it will make it worse, but dont tell your mom that.
    p.s. if herpititis is actually some embarrassing std or something i meant to say repticulosis or something. haha.

15. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Lmao my mom used to say that about my corn. Apparently 5ft is huge. Well yesterday I told her I was planning to get a Solomon Island ground boa and she was like "A boa?? I don't think so - that WILL eat the cats!" I laughed so hard, I couldn't stop to explain they can't and won't. Silly mothers. But I showed her a pic later on and she is beginning to change her mind.
    I'm getting it either way though :)

16. Kiger

Kiger New Member

i don't think my mom will.....but i'm getting a 55 gallon tank...guess i'll be stuck with getting saltwater tropical fish......damn

17. Kiger

Kiger New Member

I'm trying to convince my mom to get me a corn for christmas....hopefully it'll work....

18. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

Yes you definitley need a top and you need to put weights or clips on the lid so they cant escape. youd be amazed how easily they can escape without these and they can be hard to find. my girlfriend lost her young cornsnake one time and she never found it even after tearing apart her house.

yes you need a heater. Specifically an under tank heater aka a "UTH". No hot rocks.
    id answer the rest of your questions but you can find all the answers in any decent care sheet. I would strongly reccommend the purchasing the book "The Corn Snake Manual" by bill and kathy love. It's pretty cheap and covers a lot.

19. Kiger

Kiger New Member

I told her I wanted one again and she said no. She told me to be serious. I told her I was. I told her it was the same as having cats or hamsteres in the house and she said it wasn't. Yea she won't even touch one she doesn't know a thing about em. I don't know how to convince her. She won't evern give logical reason why I shouldn't have one.