snake for the fall

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Stunna, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Stunna

Stunna New Member

hey guys, i'm starting to get some ideas on a snake i would want for the fall season. i was going to get a red tail but i didn't realize how insanely big a 9 foot snake really is hahaha.

so with that in mind i'm wanting to get a snake around the 5 foot range. i want a constricting type snake. the only snake i could really think of is a ball python wich isn't a bad choice(i love them!) but i just wanted to see what all my other options could be. i don't want to spend more then 250 on one so keep that in mind.

thanks for your time!!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CoexistExotics

CoexistExotics New Member

Well there are all the colubrids: corn snakes, king snakes, and milk snakes. they all stay around 5 feet and dont get thicker than the thickness of around a quarter. They also tend to tame down nicely and are fairly inexpensive.

Good luck!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Stunna

Stunna New Member

i don't really like those kinds of snakes, but thanks for the reply

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Male Jungle Carprt, Nicarauguan Red Tail, Irian Jayas, all should be in your price point and are all boids around 5-6 foot mark full grown.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. improvius

improvius New Member

A Savu python would also fit the bill.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

A male red tail boas useally stay in the 6-7 foot mark, I think that they are an Ideal size. The girls get biger.
    here is a bad pic of our male boa. Iam 5'9 and the snake is about 6.5 feet long and full grown

[​IMG]

12. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

Oh, I am totally with you!! I am completely in love with RT boas, but I really don't have room in my room for one, and the rest of my house is prone to... um... small things (aka kids)....... :( But they are really gorgeous! Nice one, jeepnphreak!

Yeah, if I were you I'd go Ball Python. Females sometimes get to be 5ft, often a little smaller, but they are extremely heavy-bodied, and very docile! My girl is the sweetest, except for now, breeding season, when she's fasting. :rolleyes: Grr.

Anyways, please remember NEVER to get a pet from a chain pet store!!!

Have fun!!!!!

13. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

Um... and about the above post... carpet pythons can be really big and sometimes mean.... I wouldn't suggest one for a beginner.

14. MandiBeth

MandiBeth Embryo

Another choice would be Dumeril Ground Boas(Also known as the Madagascar Ground Boa). They have a goregous pattern and typically only get 4-6 ft. They do require higher humidty though since they are from a more humid climate (Madagascar). They are typically a very hardy species. A neonate enclosure would be similar to that of bp's and other RTB's, just up the humidty a bit.

15. MandiBeth

MandiBeth Embryo

I don't know why I didn't think of these guys before lol. Brazilian Rainbow Boas! They're gorgeous in color, bright red-orange w/ irredesense all over. They are the Colombian Rainbow Boas, but they aren't as pretty as the brazilians (my opinion, they're not as bright as adults). Pretty easy to take care of. Again it's good to keep the humidty up to avoid a bad shed. Most I've seen in pet shops have problems w/ their eye caps coming off.