Snake in my Backyard

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Froggy, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Froggy

Froggy Member

Ok, I need an ID on a snake I found. It was about 2 1/2 feet long, it was light brown with dark brown stripes going down it's back. It wasn't a cottonmouth, that much I know. There's a pond and lake behind my house, and my backyard is full of bullfrogs and American toads. I found him by the AC, and it's always moist over there because the hose is there. Does anyone know what it is? I'm not letting my dogs out until I know what it is.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Sounds like a ribbon or garter snake. Can you get a picture?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Froggy

Froggy Member

Nope, can't get a picture. I know that garter snakes live here though. It sort of had sort of reddish designs in between the two stripes, but there wasn't much anything else.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Janice

It's really hard from the description....

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Janice

Either of these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Froggy

Froggy Member

It could be the top one if they could be light brown. I came up with a Butler's garter snake, but it doesn't look exactly like it. It does fit the same dsciption though.

12. Janice

The top one is a ribbon snake.

13. Froggy

Froggy Member

I found it again. It's now under my dog's igloo. It was eating a mouse... It looks like the top one but it has patterns in between 3 lines. Ribbons aren't venemous, are they? My mom wants me to move it cause she doesn't want a snake in the yard, lol.

14. brado

brado Member

I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but whats the bottom one? It looks really cool (which probably means it's poisonious).

15. liza714

liza714 Member

Brown snakes are found throughout the US and really like moist areas. They have a distinctive mark behind the eye sort of like a "/" and their stripes if you look closely are actually merged together spots.

16. jami

jami Member

are brown snakes poisonous i think i got one or a garter

17. hornedfrog

hornedfrog Member

brado, the bottom one is a garter snake (although I've never seen one that color) and they are not venomous.

18. brado

brado Member

Wow that's a garter? I've never seen one like that either...

19. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's a garter. I read somewhere that a garter snakes stripes can be either green or orange/redish. They certainly are beautiful though eh? And there are like 3-4 different types of garters snakes. At least in Canada...