Snake License?

Discussion in 'Florida Reptile Nuts' started by ssscales, Mar 31, 2006.

1. ssscales

ssscales Member

Has anyone heard of this snake license being talked about for FL?

There seems to be talk about Florida requiring snake owners to have some sort of license to own a snake. I have only heard of this second hand and no one seems to know anything concrete about it.

Has anyone out there heard or read anything about this?

I'm interested in what types of snakes will be under this umbrella, how much the license will cost, if it's permanent or you need a yearly renewal, what requirements are needed, etc.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LMarshall

LMarshall New Member

$50 dollars a year, ClassIII reptile permit. does not cover "hots/venomous"

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

i heard it was only going to be required for burms, retics, afrocks and anys. in what i read boas and anacondas were left out.

~Will.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Rocky

Rocky Member

Re: RE: Snake License?

I have heard the same. Only the larger species of snakes would require a liscence/permit.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. RinkRat33

RinkRat33 New Member

RE: Re: RE: Snake License?

I actually think it's a good idea. It may cut down the amount of them released into the wild be irresponsible owners who didn't realize what they were really getting into when they bought them. What do ya'll think about it?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Rocky

Rocky Member

I think its an EXCELLENT idea.

They are also adding to the bill stating that the releasing of animals into the wild will make you pay a fine and possibly jail time. Im all for the bill as long as I can keep snakes, I dont care if I have to pay $100 a yr.

12. ssscales

ssscales Member

RE: Re: RE: Snake License?

I think it's a great idea, a bit too late, but something around a permit is better than a flat out ban on ALL boids!

Unfortunately it may be a foot in the door or a step on the stairway to an all out ban or restrictions on all non-native reptiles. Meaning you may need a $100 license for that Iggy, Ball Python and boa.

13. ssscales

ssscales Member

I think it's always been illegal to release them, there is just no one to enforce it. Too much ground to cover, not enough people to enforce it. Also unless you catch someone in the act, how do you trace the animal back to the owner to press charges or fines? At least if they had to microchip all reptiles on that list, it would be different.

14. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

i'm not too worried about the licensing . . . what i am worried about is if my insurance company some how cross references the licenses and finds that i have them when i claimed i diddnt. also it would be a real kick in the pants if it were an additional fee per snake you keep. with 11 guys on my team that could get expensive.

~Will.

15. INSANECANE

INSANECANE Embryo

I think it is a great idea.
    I agree would be less released onto the wild.

16. ssscales

ssscales Member

Another good point, I'm going on 50 in my collection and wondering the future with breeding. Luckily I don't own any of the snakes on the list nor do I plan to.

17. CraigC

CraigC New Member

The legislature passed this earlier this month. The $100.00 permit would pertain too:

Burms
    Afrocks
    Retics
    Amys

No mention of anacondas.

Lizards:
    It just says monitors, no species designations

No mention of a "grandfather clause" and if you get caught releasing any it is a 3rd degree felony.

What is not specified is whether out of state vendors will be required to purchase the permit to sell the listed species at Florida shows, nor how they will enforce the purchases at shows.

FWC will be able to enforce this at the purchase end better than trying to catch someone making a release. I imagine that sellers will be required to provide inventories of the pertinent species as well as sales records. Easier to visit established business and folks holding Class III licenses. Also easier to go ask someone who doesn't renew the permit what happened to the animal. Most pet stores will probably stop carrying those cheap burms as impulse buys for them will probably cease.

Craig

18. cricketnutz

cricketnutz New Member

we need a history report every yr when your paying that bill you should have to add the number of animals you have if your a breder or if your animals died this way we can help in sales to good owners and not to just fad owners

19. leopard_gecko247

leopard_gecko247 New Member

whew im glad i don't gotta pay for a gecko permit or i'd be living on the street!i do think its a good idea,but 100$ is alot i have never had a burm/retic but i wanna get one someday hopefully by that time i'll be a herpetologist.
    that way i probably won't need a permit at all.