Snake Species Inquiry

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Dee_Mitchell, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Dee_Mitchell

Dee_Mitchell Embryo

I would like to see if anyone could identify a species of snake found under my daughter's porch. We live East of Toronto but I have never seen a snake resembling this one in this area before.
    It is at least 4 feet long, a black head with yellow and black rings, each about one inch wide along its entire body.
    I'm concerned because I don't know whether it could hurt her or not.
    I've looked at almost every species and the Kingsnake is the closest in appearance. I would appreciate it if someone could possible identify this snake or point me in the right direction.
    Thanx in advance. Dee

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. PitsNherps

PitsNherps Well-Known Member

Try garter snake?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure we don't have any kingsnakes native to Ontario...and I'm not seeing any species that match your description. Did you get a good look at it? You don't need to worry, I don't think. The only harmful species we have are the Massasauga rattlers...if it's still there, a pic would be helpful.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Dee_Mitchell

Dee_Mitchell Embryo

Thanx for the responses....I appreciate them.
    I went online to see if I could find anything similar to it and the Kingsnake was closest in appearance so I thought it could possibly be one but I'm not sure what species are common to Ontario. I looked up every garter and grass snake picture available as well but none looked anything like this one.
    I grew up on a farm here in Southern Ontario and snake sightings were almost a daily event but I have never seen one like this either.
    My concern is that someone has had it for a pet and it has somehow escaped or been turned loose in which case it could be from anywhere, or any species.
    I'll see if we can get a pic of it to post the next time it's seen.
    Thanx again. Dee

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bassteck76

bassteck76 New Member

Milks, Kings all are Lampropeltis and all look very similar in appearance, head and body wise........

12. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

You know, I thought it might have been a milk, cause I know they are similar, but the site I was on, the milk looked nothing like that. It was odd, and I thought it had to be wrong...but a milk snake does make sense!

13. Dee_Mitchell

Dee_Mitchell Embryo

Thank you again for the responses I really do appreciate them. I looked thru all the available pics of the milk snake and none really look like this one though. As I mentioned, it has one inch bands or rings that alternate yellow then black then yellow etc the full length of the body with a black head. The yellow is somewhat the same as the dark yellow of a banana skin (sorry I can't think of another comparison that everyone would be familiar with) The bands appear to go completely around the body but I can't say for sure if they are on the underbelly.
    Would it be possible for a snake to be cross bred to get an unusual color or pattern?
    We will try to get a pic if possible as I would feel better knowing what it is.
    Thanks again for the suggestions. Dee

14. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

I'm still pretty sure it's a milk, we have tons of em in southwestern Ontario (where i am). If however by the off chance you notice red rings with yellow rings on each side, remove yourself. It's doubtful but you never know these days. A good saying "Red touch yellow, kill a fellow", "Red touch black, friend of Jack."

15. Jason_Hood

Jason_Hood Embryo

Northern Water Snake sipedon???

Jason

16. MikeFuture

MikeFuture New Member

There are no native Canadian snakes that match that description. You have a non-native escape, and without a picture I can't give you a proper ID.

17. Dee_Mitchell

Dee_Mitchell Embryo

Sorry for the delay responding but I've been away. Thanx for the response...I appreciate it.
    There is only yellow and black rings on this snake...no red. I was concerned someone may have got tired of one that was a pet or something and turned it loose because I couldn't find anything that was similar from around here.
    It hasn't been seen since the last time so we haven't had a chance to take a pic but I will if it turns up again.

18. Dee_Mitchell

Dee_Mitchell Embryo

I couldn't find any snakes that matched it's coloring either native to this area...that's why I was concerned. I was afraid someone may have turned one loose that was possibly poisonous and I was concerned my daughter or someone else, might get bit. It hasn't been spotted since that last nite but I will take a pic if it shows up again.
    Thanx for the responses...all of you. I appreciate the help.
    Stay safe. Dee

19. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

It sounds something like a mangrove snake by the way he describes it.

20. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

21. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Lol we don't have the Timber in Canada anymore. Just the Massassauga. But I'm sure they'd be able to tell if it was a rattlesnake.
    It's probably an escaped/freed pet. Either way, it's gone now.

22. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

It's "extinct" from canada now? That sucks.

23. zoro

zoro New Member