Snake tongs/hooks: are they really worth it?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by lizard_man_Lane, Apr 25, 2005.

1. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

Since I'm getting a ball python in about a month or two I was wondering if you would need a snake hook/tong. I wouldn't be afraid to hold it and feed it by hand. I know that you have a slim chance of getting bit either way. On some websites they say you don't need them and that the people that say you should have them probably don't even use them theirselves. I was wondering about your opinions on them, if they're worth the money, and if you own one.
    Thanks
    Lane

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Lokismommy

Lokismommy New Member

My husband got a snake hook after our rainbow boa gave him a pretty nasty bite I myself have never used the thing but I do use tongs for feeding because alot of my snakes mainly the boas have a hell of a feeding response and I believe they would bite hard if I fed them by hand. I just went to Wal-mart and got some salad tongs that cost a dollar and they work fine.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jujube

Jujube New Member

Definitely use tongs for feeding a BP. Even with tongs, I've almost been tagged a few times, thinking my hand was the mouse instead. Lokismommy is right--heck of a feeding response with those guys.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

It really depends on your snake's temperament and your enclosure. At least with Ball Pythons anyway.

I have 7 Balls. They are all kept in Boaphile enclosures like this one ( http://www.boaphileplastics.com/321d.html ). Those cages are 2 feet deep and open from the front. 2 of my Balls are a bit feisty at times. I use a hook to get them out because of the depth of my cages I would have to stick my entire head in the cage to be able to reach them. Better safe than sorry.

Now all of my other snakes are real mellow and I do not need to use the hook.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

We train all of our snakes to a hook...but they don't need it. It's just good that they recognize them and are comfortable with them if they ever really do need them. Tongs however are must have in my book. No need being tagged by even the smallest snake if you don't have to be.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

I noticed that on www.reptilesupply.com they have a 24" snake tong on sale for $26.99. Is that what you'd get for a ball? They also have 40" collapsable snake tong-$38.95, collapsable mini hook-$6.99 I think it's probably too small, collapsable field/cage hook-$36.99. What one would you guys use for a future ball python? I'm getting everything setup way before i get the snake so i can monitor the temps and humityfor a while.

12. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

If you feel you really need a hook, then I'd get a small one to start with. If you plan on actually handling with one then you don't want one that's too big, sometimes they can be difficult to use with a small snake. Tongs aren't necessary at all. Just make sure you are comfortable using a hook, you don't want to jab or poke your snake with the end, less because of possible injury and more because it irritates them and may make them afraid of the hook. Always slide the hook under the snake gently and in the direction of the scales only (from head to tail).

13. DizzyStar

DizzyStar Member

i've only had problems with my little king snake thinking my fingers are pinkies. he's gotten a lot better, i think b/c i started waiting a little longer after he ate to put him back in his tank. my BP has never even flinched when i picked her up after or before feeding. i guess it depends on the snake really, but biochic is probably right... better safe than sorry.

14. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Sounds like my king. He used to be a complete psycho with my hands but after some patient handling he may think about it but never actually does bite me anymore. It's kind of funny to watch. He'll look at my finger if it's moving and go towards it real fast then stop just millimeters from it and look all disappointed(okay I made the disappointed part up). ;)

15. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

We have two ball pythons and one columbian red tail, never thought about the snakehook until we purchased ruby, our blood python. i think that when you see the breeders/handlers using the snakehook, you might *think* about getting one. Because of their reputation, we bought the snake hook to use when looking for her in her cage and lifting her out. I think they're worth the money, especially with the larger species. But remember, the hooks, like the snakes, come in different sizes, so choose accordingly.

-Julez

16. herpmaniac

herpmaniac New Member

Some snakes are cage defensive meaning that they get aggresive in thier cage but once u get them out they calm down. Hooks are good for these kind of snakes. Midwesttongs.com is a good site for many different types of hooks and tongs

17. Rande

Rande Embryo

I have never used a snake hook, and I wouild not want to risk hurting the snake with hard metal. Over the years, my Red Tail Boa has "nailed" me few times when I reach into the cage. this is almost always when he is hungry.

I firmly believe in the saying "You don't train the snake ... you train the owner !"

Now, I wrap my hand in a towel whenever I reach in the cage. He rarely strickes at the towel, and after he knows it is me ... I NEVER have any problems with him. I know I am lucky to have a well behaved snake. I have known people that could never handle their snake without thich leather gloves.

Even for those snakes, I prefer a long leather glove to a snake hook (unless you have a large cage and can not reach in without putting your head in the cage)

Rande

18. iloveherps

iloveherps Member

19. Aceo4

Aceo4 Embryo

Well if you are scared they can sense it so use the tong till you get used to the snake. And never try to pick the snake up with your hand from the snake’s front or you will most likely get bit.
    Another bit of advise is don’t feed you snake in its main tank or it will think when you open the cage it is feeding time and you will get bit. And you run the chance of the snake ingesting the bedding, which could lead to the death of your, snake. And if possible try to feed you snake pre killed rats, or mice depending on size. It makes them less aggressive.