Snake won't poop!

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by gbird10713, Apr 2, 2009.

1. gbird10713

gbird10713 Embryo

I've had my Ball for almost four weeks now and have fed him 3 times, he eats on Monday's. He eats with no problems and comes out to drink water. I've yet to find anything in his tank, not even a smell! I followed one suggestion and soaked him in a tub of warm water, nothing. I use eco earth subtrate, he doesn't burrow so there's nothing buried. Tank temp is 85 during the day and 73 at night. What do I do now?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

How about some information on the snake

age of snake,
    size of snake,
    food mouse/rat?
    food size in relation to snake?

if you are feeding it too small of food and its a your snake, it may be that the snake it utilizing all/most of the rodent you are feeding. thus its not needing to poo just yet. you should be feeding food that is equal to the fattest part of the snake.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. gbird10713

gbird10713 Embryo

Slash is just about 3' long and I was told he's a 2 year old. I upgraded to a "large" adult mouse last Monday, the previous ones we're mediums though the store clerk never told me this. I didn't know they came in different sizes :lol: I figured all adult mice were pretty much the same. Anyway, I had a nice surprise this morning. I noticed he was lying at the entrance of his hide, normally he's always at the rear end. I picked up the hide and low and behold, he did his business! Thanks for your response, it's much appreciated :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

OK I have an idea of what going on. Simple, you are under feeding it.
    A 3' foot ball should be eating small rats, and should have graduated past mice before its first year. I start my new born hatchlings right of on week old rats and never bother with mice.
    so what is happening is that you are feeding a young growing ball not quite enough and the snake's body in using up almost all of the mouse. Thus not pooping much.

The food item should be approx the same size as the thickest part of the snake.