Snake

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Eublepharis_macularius, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Eublepharis_macularius

Eublepharis_macularius New Member

I have a leopard gecko, and have started thinking about my next herp. I want it to be a snake. What's an easy to care for snake that doesn't eat mice/rats? (My mom's afraid of mice, and even more afriad of rats)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. _Devastate_

_Devastate_ New Member

Umm well other than the American Grass/Green snake which eats insects and is about as big as a pencil and sadly is not very common or easy to care for, there are no snakes to my knowledge that dont feed on meat. If you can get past the whole mouse thing then a corn snake would be your best bet as a beginners snake, do a search on google and read some care sheets.

hope that helped

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

She doesn't have to be afraid if you get frozen mice and thaw them to feed the snake. Run it by her, see what she thinks. They're already dead and frozen. Just like meat you'd cook for yourself :wink: She doesn't even have to see them. Keep them in a box labeled "Snake food".

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. _Devastate_

_Devastate_ New Member

Well if she doesnt like the idea of mice she'd probably flip is she saw frozen baby mice, lol

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Lol she doesn't HAVE to see them though. It's such a simple thing...My mom NEVER sees my frozen mice.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

When it comes to snakes, you are pretty limited when it comes to cricket eating snakes. I would prefer mice in the freezer, than the sound of crickets anyday. The grass snake is pretty cute, although small. I think garter snakes eat fish and insects???

12. FLBlue

FLBlue Member

garters eat fish and earthworms. they DO NOT eat crickets. i've heard people that work in petstores tell customers this and this is not correct.
    my FL blue garter eats live guppies and rosy reds. when i cant find healthy live feeder fish, i give him canned sardines.
    i've read that green grass snakes can be finicky eaters and arent recommended for beginners.
    my gf loves the snakes but isnt too fond of what they eat either. so i feed them when she isnt home. she's fine with the mice in the freezer as long as they are in a bag and not touching other food in the freezer. so i keep them up on a shelf in the freezer.

13. _Devastate_

_Devastate_ New Member

Re: RE: Snake

same here :(

14. Janice

RE: Re: RE: Snake

Ahh, it's earthworms, I knew it was something besides fish. Thanks FLBlue!

15. FLBlue

FLBlue Member

you're welcome! :( when i caught Diablo, i took him to a local pet store to get advice on what to feed him since he was barely a week old. and one of the clerks said "crickets of course, all reptiles will eat a cricket." the pet store owner overheard this and quickly corrected her employee. and sent me home with a few earthworms and 10 small guppies.

as for the frozen mice issue...i'm seriously considering just getting a dorm-sized fridge/freezer for my room or the utility room for all my pet's food. our new rental home has a really small fridge. and even i'm getting tired of trying to find my own food amongst the pet's sardines, fish bait, cans of cat and dog food and frozen feeders...

16. Janice

Excellent idea!!! I know you can buy really small deep freezers. Check the classifieds, you can sometimes find them there!

17. _Devastate_

_Devastate_ New Member

18. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Creeeeepy :shock: The freezer is definitely a good idea. We have one in the basement. That's where I keep mine. I guess I forgot to mention that's partly how my mom never sees the mice lol!

19. Janice

20. _Devastate_

_Devastate_ New Member

no no no, much too small, you could only fit a human head in there now now janice is 1 head enough to fill up your burmese? ofcourse not! definitly need to go for the big one :D

21. reako45

reako45 Member

Would your mom be averse to snakes that are lizard, frog or toad eaters? If not, then eastern hogs, and Solomon Island Ground boas may be something you'd want to look into. LOL!

reako45

22. fpc40

fpc40 New Member

try an egg eater or just dead mice in the freezer ;)