Snakes and hot water

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by peas_and_corn, Aug 23, 2009.

1. peas_and_corn

peas_and_corn Embryo

Usually my murray python doesn't like water- though I found out that it's not always the case. The other day I was brewing, and I had him around my shoulders while doing so. I was checking the temp of the hot water I was heating for the mash, and my python was really enthusiastic in trying to get at it, almost dunking his head in 50C water.

That got me thinking- what sort of heat resistance do snakes have? I pulled him away as quickly as possible to avoid him from getting burns, but it left me wondering.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

I'm not sure about in water, but I've had snakes burn at 100*F. (A heat pad kind of flipped out. Haven't used that one since.)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

give snakes water you drink, dont give them warm water as it's hot for the snakes.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

My guess would be that it was a bit hungry. Ball pyhton's heat pits are sensitive to tempature. I have had snakes strike at lamps and other hot items.

Next why were you hold your snake while brewing 50C water? What if it sliped and fell in the water. You could have really injured your snake. And you would have felt really bad about almost killing your ball pyhton.