Snakes that don't eat mice?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by AngelZoo, Dec 31, 2004.

1. AngelZoo

AngelZoo Embryo

Are there any pet snakes out there on the smaller side, which can live off of food besides mice/rats?

Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

ringneck snakes, garter snakes, rough green snakes. Dekei snakes. These are redily available and with the exception of the garter snake, the others eat earthworm , slugs, crickets. garters will eat fish and frogs and mice too.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Rubiks

Rubiks Embryo

The rough/smooth green snakes are the only true insectivores that I know of, although I've heard they can be a bit difficult in captivity, so maybe not a good choice if it's your first snake...
    Garters are excellent snakes, hardy and usually great feeders. You can keep them well on feeder guppies and minnows (not goldfish). I wouldn't recommend frogs as they can harbor a lot of parasites. My own garter takes down pinkie mice like a fiend, but so far as I know, there's been no firm decision about whether fish or mice are the better diet, it's all up to personal preference.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. cutepieceofpie

cutepieceofpie New Member

womas dont eat mice but they get huge...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Womas DO eat rodents and they do NOT get huge. <== Is that what you meant to say?
    A large Woma will max out in the 7' range and they are medium bodied snakes. The big downside to the Woma is that they are VERY expensive right now but as more people start to add them to collections and breed them pricing will come down. Every single person that I have talked to that keeps Womas say that they are AWESOME! Docile, perfect eaters, very hardy, easy to keep, and tolerant of high and low humidity and temps.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

I've heard babies in the wilds of Oz will take lizards, but yeah after that they are big time Rat eaters. So i guess technically from the question they dont eat mice;) Well for long.lol

12. bikiescum2003

bikiescum2003 Embryo

The woma is native to central australia and there are alot of rodents (including lizards) that they eat but the main thing that you will see them eat in the wild are small birds. they have been known to get up to around 15ft but i have never seen 1 that big. i have seen them in captivaty at 10ft but 6-7ft is average which is a large snake for australia.

13. cutepieceofpie

your right stormy... sorry for the incomplete post... i did mean to say they dont eat JUST mice...but they are known to get big. my mom had one for 8 years... she adopted it from a refuge. got to be 12 ft (stormy? who told you they only get 7ft?!?!) they are wicked cool... she fed him (woncky/wonckers) mostly lizards and baby chicks. he had his own room... its so neat to see them "levitate" i wish i were a snake.

thanks ed :)

14. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Where are you from cutepieceofpie? A Woma from a refuge?!?!?
    I wish I could come across a place like that! Most of the rescues I have seen get colombian boas, burms, retics, and a few bps and corns. The expensive snakes like the Womas, ETBs, and GTPs are usually purchased by more knowledgable keeps in it for the long term so rarely turn up in those places.

The size I stated was an average.... just like with BCIs there are larger and smaller snakes. Most places will tell you that a female BCI will average 7-8' long. I have a female BCI that is 7', a friend has three females that range from 6' to 11'. I think Ed_r's females fall about that same size range as well.

15. cutepieceofpie

at the time my mom and i were living in arizona... i was about 6 and ive been looking everywhere for pics of him. wonckers owner passed away. when the relatives and close friends found out they knew they couldnt (or wouldnt) care for the woma (or 2 sloths...interesting man)... so off he went to a refuge. i think my mom was either working their or volunteering. i'll mail her and see if she has pics left... i didnt mean to say it the way i did... i was just shocked because my experiance with them is they grow to be rather large. you said it would max out at 7 and i just.. its just not true... though it is the average as you just now stated. sorry if i irratated you at all.

16. raggamuffin

raggamuffin New Member

how about an egg eating snake, I don't know how big they get so somebody may be able to give that advice.

17. Snake_n&#092;'_Shake

Snake_n&#092;'_Shake Embryo

so if i raise my own fish i could feed them toa garter if ig ot one? that sounds really neat. anyone know if you feed them live or not, or jsut how you feed them to the snake?

18. adam2373

adam2373 Member

Eastern Hognose snakes will eat toads.

19. stevetims

stevetims New Member

Don't King snakes eat other snakes - you could breed rattlers and feed them to a king snake - might not go down well in these forums though.....

20. Lokismommy

Lokismommy New Member

You would have to check and see if you can legally keep venemous snakes where you live and also I think it would just be too much of a risk keeping a rattler that takes decades of experience. If you really want a snake that does not eat mice I would get a garter or ribbon snake and they can eat feeder goldfish or guppies but I'll warn you snakes that eat fish have stinky poo. But you do have to feed the fish live get a large water bowl and put them in it and the snake will fish for them. It is pretty neat to watch.

21. xgacktx

xgacktx Embryo

Snake_n'_Shake it depends on what kind of fish you raise.

Lokismommy you're right about how to feed them but you don't want to feed them goldfish! you should NEVER use feeder goldfish! they are very high in thiaminese which will cause a Vit. B defficency and eventually lead to stargazing syndrome (a neurological disorder)

AngelZoo if you want a small snake that doesn't eat rats or mice I would get a garter or a ribbon snake. Ribbon snakes can live in a 10 gallon all they lives but a garter would eventually need a 20 gallon.

Some things every1 on here should look out for though are freezing fish. when you freeze fish it kills the thiamin which in doing so creates thiaminese. Also goldfish, mackerel, herring, and many of the carp family are high in thiaminese. AVOID them! Rosy red minnows (fathead minnows) have very small amounts of thiaminese in them but are safe to feed snakes as long as you provide other means of food as well. Guppies are an excellent fish because they contain thiaminese and are inexpensive.

22. zakkyz

zakkyz New Member

I was going to suggest ribbon snakes. I think they are cool

23. Samael

Samael New Member

western hognoses are cool too. they eat toads i hear, as well as mice, but sonce you don't want to feed them micethey are cool. Some puff up like a cobra, others play dead.