so i have a new set up tell me what you think

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by staceface, Mar 22, 2007.

1. staceface

staceface Member

some of u may already know i had a set up for my new turt but it was pretty small so iv got this now iv just finished it.

the new set up without the light on
    [​IMG]

i have a water dish filled with a rock and stones so its not deep, but she drinks from this, is this ok?
    [​IMG]

just a pic of Nancy (thats her name i finally choose) she burries herself in the wood chip at night.
    [​IMG]

and just another pic with the light on
    [​IMG]

is this ok? the humidity doesnt get too high because if u see on the last pic i leave an area where the tank isnt covered.
    oh yeah nancy ate today for the first time since i got her 2 days ago :D so i think shes starting to settle in well. and seems to like her new home!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

Great news that nacy has started eating for you. The new tank looks much better, but you have to be very carful with those sort of substrates that your tort doesn't swallow any as it can be fatal. for russians we us a 50:50 mixture of play sand and garden loam or bed a beast. Some people will also use aspen shavings or timothy hay for bedding.

I still think you should cover at least part of the sides of the tank to prevent you tort from walking into the glass and getting stressed.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Rees2

Rees2 New Member

you should cover the tankup with something.mabye a plastic background

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. box_turtle

box_turtle Embryo

that looks great

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

I'm confused, is the light bulb on in the last picture (the one hanging down) your only light? Up must have proper UVB.
    I agree with Wookie, try a sand and soil mix, those shavings look small enough to lodge in the tort's throat. Using a soil mixture can also allow you to provide some humidity, when tort needs it, it can dig into a more moist area.

Consider an alternative to an aquarium too. Seeing that you have the top of that one mostly covered, that's not going to help airflow at all. You do not want to deal with respiratory problems later on. :)
    Build a turtle table type set up or use a large plastic tub. And get her outside on the nice days, I know you do have a few in the summer there :) You can use a hard plastic kiddie pool with screen or wire mesh cover to keep other animals out.

Also, that's rather sparse in there isn't it? My turtles would hate being that exposed all the time. Can you provide a container or two for hides? Something simple as large plastic bowls with hole cut in the side, or at the very least a sight break that the tort can hide behind or under.

The rocks in the bowl look rough/sharp as well. Look for an alternative that will allow the tort to crawl through the water dish and not scratch it's plastron.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. staceface

staceface Member

hey strange wings thanks for all the advice on how to make my set up better, im not using the light bulb anymore i have a megaray until i can afford to buy a uv strip light. i have some play sand what kind of soil? where can i buy that from? and is it a clean sustrate, smelly? what uv strip light will be best and what size?

she digs in her wood chip and hides in there so do i need another hide? and i can cut the wooden board placed on top for more air flow drill holes or whatever. what temp does her baskin spot have to be its 90f at the mo. im not exactly any good at DIY im 18 and i dont really have the money to be buying anything expensive. i got the tortoise off someone who was keeping her in a shoe box :?

the rocks in the bowl seemed ok for her when she walks on them but i will change them and put something that is not as rocky!

i didnt want to cover up the sides of her tank cos i thought she might feel too closed in!

i dont really know much about tortoises so i really appreciate your help :D

Stacey

12. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

I said about covering the side as alot of torts can't comprehend glass and can stress themselves out trying to walk through it. If your tort is clever enough to know it's there then you may be ok. you wouldn't have to cover it all just the first few inches so he could see something there.

I have a box to dig in to make it easy to clean and keep it in one place. I have tile on the rest of the floor. the substrate mix is 50/50 of play sand and garden loam. If you can't find the garden loam you can use coconut coir e.g. http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=200. You should be able to get garden loam at your local garden centre though.

Reptisun 10 or reptiglo 8 are the best tube lights. The megaray MVB bulb is better though.

if you had the money I'd say have a look at these, I thought they where great when I saw them. http://reptilekeeping.net/catalog/product_...roducts_id=1293

do you cover the tank to stop something getting in? if not can you not leave the top off?

90F should be fine basking temp.

13. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

:shock: I was under the impression that since these animals could not be imported that they were worth a bit more than they are here... and not common enough for someone to just stuff in a shoe box!
    I'm not sure what sizes the fluorescent lights come in there, here it's sizes 18inches to 48. So really it depends on the size of your enclosure, you at least want it to cover 1/3 or 1/2 (or be able to cast light on that much of it). You'll want to get the strongest UVB bulb you can, here they come in different percentages, 5.0%, 8.0%, 10.0%.
    Until then take your tortoise outside for some sun during the day.
    Well, it will smell like dirt :D You will need to change the soil as your tortoise will dirty it. If you don't, then you get smelly substrate.
    For soil, you need sterile top soil. This means no fertilizers and not potting soil. Any garden center type stores should have this soil right now with their plants.

Why is the wood on top there? Just toss it out, it will only get in your way. If you must have a lid because of other pets, try to find hardware or hailcloth. This is a somewhat heavy mesh wire with square holes. You'll need tin snips or a good pair of wire cutters to cut this. After cutting use a pair of pliers to bend those sharp points under so you won't scratch yourself, :wink: you can also easily bend the wire to a lid shape fit over the tank.

I can understand that, you can save money if you're careful. For any building supplies, ask around if family or friends have spare stuff they can part with. Like an old bookcase, you could take that and modify it into a turtle/tortoise table. :)
    For tips on building, safe products you can use to seal wood etc, I'm sure that people here would answer your questions in the enclosure section.
    She buries herself, I don't believe she'd have any problems with feeling closed in. :wink:

Good luck with getting the enclosure and supplies you need.:)
    And do lots of research, read read read! so you'll learn more about tortoise care.

14. box_turtle

box_turtle Embryo

15. staceface

staceface Member

hey thanks again for all your help..
    yeah she was kept in a shoe box becuase someone had stole quite a few of them from a pet shop, they were meant to be about £200 each but i bought mine for only £70. pretty sad really.

im going to continue using the megaray for now (although she hasnt really been basking much at the mo cos of the crappy weather)

i do want to change the substrate eventually and i will

the wooden board is on top becuase the lights were fixed to it. and now it is keeping the megaray in place until i get a proper fixture for it. now that im using the megaray the tank looks alot duller than when i was using the ordinary house bulb :D

an yes eventually i will be getting my dad to make me a tortoise table. i do have an old drawer but its too small, the tank shes in now is nearly 5ft in length and shes always walking up and down it, so i dont want to put her in anything much smaller.

and for the stones in her water bowl im going to replace these with smooth flat rocks or one big one that fits in the bottom of it. and iv covered up the sides so she doesnt get stressed.

thanks again

16. Rees2

Rees2 New Member

Just wondering what did you cover the sides up with?

17. staceface

staceface Member

just some white paper why?