Soil composition for Savannah Monitors

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Infernalis, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Infernalis

Infernalis New Member

A question I am commonly asked is how I managed to get my Savannah Monitor's enclosure soil to hold such nice burrows.

Dank burrows in humid soil is a vital part of a Savannah Monitor's life, Without a tight fitting burrow to spend time in, the lizard's life becomes very abbreviated. Average 2 years or less.

If you replicate their natural living conditions reasonably close, one can expect a lifespan of 13-20 years.

For a good consitancy that will drink in water without puddling up and is easy to dig, retains humidity and most importantly holds a burrow, I have found that a mixture of plain soil dug up from an unspoiled area and play sand works very well.

I know that not everyone can dig up their lawns, so it is common for people to buy organic top soil from a store.

One thing to be very careful of with store bought soils is that it does not contain any fertilizers.

You may have to experiment a bit for ratios, some say 60% dirt 40 sand, others say 70/30 etc.

Since I was shoveling unlimited dirt, I mixed mine on the ground outside until I got a consistency like the photos below illustrate.

Just like a nowball, it should hold its form when compacted, and not crumble.

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Infernalis

Infernalis New Member

When squeezed and forced it should break up a little like this..

[​IMG]

Cammy likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Infernalis

Infernalis New Member

Stirred in some play sand.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ran the mix through a screen..

[​IMG]

filters out the junk..

[​IMG]

gives a nice texture, light, breathable and easy to burrow.

[​IMG]

The seal of approval...

[​IMG]

Cammy likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Infernalis

Infernalis New Member

Digging machines.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and up the tree... (Savannah Monitors are excellent climbers)

[​IMG]

Cammy likes this.