Some of my snakes

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by jakewc2, Dec 15, 2006.

1. jakewc2

jakewc2 Embryo

I thought I would post a few picture of a few of my snakes.

Here's the female Western Hognose. She's about 8 months old. When i got her from the shop she ws tiny, buthas almost doubled in size now.

[​IMG]

Here's the male, he's an adult of about 4 years.

[​IMG]

Hope you like :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

they are very cool i love hogs my only concern is when shes at breeding age hell be well bigger

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jakewc2

jakewc2 Embryo

From what I unserstand that is normal. Hog females can grow up to 2.5 to 3 feet. The way this one is gorwing she's about a foot long now, she could be a big girl, and not even year old, and eats like a horse. :p

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. punkrck1013

punkrck1013 Member

Very adorable! I really like hognoses!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. RobertII

RobertII Well-Known Member

They Look Great!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Wildlabman

Wildlabman New Member

They are wonderfull, truely beautiful snakes...

A hognose will be my next snake....hopefully sooner rather than later...

Chris

12. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

ye they are realy smart lookin snakes

13. reako45

reako45 Member

Awesome snakes. Are you planning to breed them?

reako45

14. jakewc2

jakewc2 Embryo

HI, I will try when the female is old enough, but that wont be for at least another 2 years, so I have a long way to go yet. :)

15. reako45

reako45 Member

Great looking hogs. Did you buy your male as an adult or did you raise him from a baby? If not how long have you had him? Any feeding problems yet from either? My '05 W. male only eats live. Did yours take unscented rodents right away?

reako45

16. bodom85

bodom85 Member

very nice. i love hognose snakes

17. jakewc2

jakewc2 Embryo

Hi Sorry I jhavent been around for a while.

reaki45.....my male is usually a good eater, will eat from frozen, but for the past 6 to 8 weeks or so, has only accepted two feeds, which apparently is normal for this time of year. I've had him about 4 months, and is an adult of about 5 years. My female on the other hand is a pig CB06 clutch, has never refused any meal, and I know if I decided to feed her a couple of days later would feed again. They have an extremely high metabolism, and can take large amounts of food, but I still only feed once a week, so that they dont become overweight.

I remember saying somewhere here about Western Hognoses being part of the Colubrid familly, I have been trying to find out where I read that, but cant find the origional info, but have found some other sites that refer to them as North American Colubrids.

If you click on this link,
    http://reptilesbyah.com/rbah-cms/index.php...5&Itemid=33

http://www.reptileallsorts.com/westhognose-cs.htm

Hp[e that helps. :)

18. jakewc2

jakewc2 Embryo

Hi Sorry I jhavent been around for a while.

reaki45.....my male is usually a good eater, will eat from frozen, but for the past 6 to 8 weeks or so, has only accepted two feeds, which apparently is normal for this time of year. I've had him about 4 months, and is an adult of about 5 years. My female on the other hand is a pig CB06 clutch, has never refused any meal, and I know if I decided to feed her a couple of days later would feed again. They have an extremely high metabolism, and can take large amounts of food, but I still only feed once a week, so that they dont become overweight. Was your captive bred? Or wild caught? I have heard that they can be difficult to start and scenting them with roach or some form of fish can help. I've never had to feed live, here in the UK, its almost classed as illegal to feed live. It can only be done in exceptional circumstances. I have to admit, when I do breed, that is my biggest worry. My female now has grown almost double to what is in that picture and is taking 2 small fuzzies really easily. Right little piggy. And talk about strike, as soon as I put the food in. One snake I really have to use forceps with.

I remember saying somewhere here about Western Hognoses being part of the Colubrid family, I have been trying to find out where I read that, but cant find the original info, but have found some other sites that refer to them as North American Colubrids.

If you click on this link,
    http://reptilesbyah.com/rbah-cms/index.php...5&Itemid=33

http://www.reptileallsorts.com/westhognose-cs.htm

Hope that helps. :)

19. jakewc2

jakewc2 Embryo

Sorry for the double post, edited the origional, and it came out as a second post. :)

20. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Hi jakewc2,
    I will actually be getting a male western hognose on wednesday. I have been doing my research and such, but i would like some imput from actually people who have been handleing them. I am getting him from a breeder. i have my choice of 2 of them. he said they have been feeding well off of pinkies. What is thier general temprament? i hear they rarely bite, but usually put on a show of hissing and striking closed mouthed. any import would be great. sorry to come on your thread and post, but i have one on general snakes if you like to post there. any help would be appriciated.

21. jakewc2

jakewc2 Embryo

Hi sorry I took so long to get back to you. I'll go take a look at your post now. :lol:

22. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Thanks for the input jakewc2. I cant wait to get him tomarrow. Ill post a few pics soon.

23. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Great snake Jake! I want a hognose! Just out of interest how much are they where you are? Here in the UK, they go at about £80, so around $160. And are the temprements of your hogs good? Thanks, Luke.

24. bodom85

bodom85 Member

My hognose is nice. doesnt struggle to much to get away and sits there when you pic him up. only hisses at me once when i scared him. I got mine from a local breeder for 40 dollars.

25. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Woah bargain! Reptiles here in the UK are so expensive compared to the US!