some pics today

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by varanidfan, Mar 20, 2005.

1. lacerta

lacerta Member

But its a labor of love. Those are some fine looking monitors Varanidman. I like big lizards. Leopard geckos don't do it for me anymore. Got two Arg black&white tegus right now. Gentle as pussy cats. Monitors intrigue me. What is the disposition of the whitethroat ? Can they be tamed as easily as a savanah ? Nice ink on the wrist, by the way.
    George

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

they can

they can but........ its alot easier to start with fresh babies as its all about htem not seeing you as a threat. All mine are adults and what i consider tame but i dont handle them unless i have too cleaning etc. they just became this way from seeing me and me feeding them, i get slapped with a tail from time to time, but other than that they are gems.....lol I have one mean monitor and its one little stubborn red ackie, likes to bite, is not afraid of me and is calm as can be but bites the heck out of me, he stopped for awhile but is doing it again, its quite funny.
    thanks
    scott

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

id be thankful its the ackie with the attitude and not the whitethroat lol

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

me too

me too as i have had larger albigs in the four foot range that were nasty as piss and they werent enjoyable at all, they were more of a chore than a hobby as everything was difficult with her, so needless to say im very glad someone bought her.....lol i just think of her eating rats and hearing them crunch as she bit into them, thinking, hey what if that were my fingers??? LOL
    take care
    scott

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

Is there a difference between a red and a yellow one? Im starting to really want a hyper decent sized lizard. I love the blackthroats but they are big and lazy. I want something decnt sized that i can pick up and let down on the floor to jump around and play with too. Is an ackie the lizard im looking for?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

no

yellow ackies are tan, red ackies are red and orange, red ackies get a little bit bigger than yellows and are more high strung, yellows are very mellow.....not trying to rhyme. they arent what you are looking for, nor is any reptile to jump around on the floor and play with you, my suggestion.......... get a puppy or a kitten. lol ha ha ha they are very fast andd small and can/will get away from you, not a very good thing to do. I have a blackthroat, and he is not lazy at all, he is constantly moving and foraging, never a dull quiet moment wiht him in the house, if you feed them too much and put them in a small cage then yest they will be big fat lazy animals, but if cared for properly they are very active and inquisitive, plus once bigger they are hard to lose in the house....

12. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

So you just let your black throat run around the house with you? That might be a problem for me since i have cats and dogs and birds. Heh, i guess so.

13. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

well if you let an adult BT run around the house you wouldnt have cats and dogs, and if the birds arent high enough off the floor you wont have those either lol. if you have a basement you could big a big enclosure down there for it. or convert a bedroom into its enclosure

14. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

bts

my bt has a large enclosure plus i let it out from time to time, it has yet to bother with the dog (a pomerainian) or the cat, it simply disregards them and does his own thing, i have had him around them from day one though.
    good luck
    scott

15. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

my friend had a nile and he let is walk around his house and it killed his chuwauah (sp?)

16. Chi_Monitors1317

Chi_Monitors1317 New Member

RE: ok

beautiful white throat

17. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

RE: ok

This threads almost two years old, no need to bring up old posts.