Something is wrong and I'm not sure what

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by jdwoodschild, Apr 29, 2008.

1. jdwoodschild

jdwoodschild Embryo

Okay here's the situation- I have a 6-7 year old green iguana (Sarrai), and she was being kept at my friend's house last summer, and her boyfriend and room mate kept turning off her light and her water fall (we do a time share thing with Sarrai, I have her for a year she has her for a year) and my friend ended up giving her back to me because she couldn't keep things the way that they should have been. Well she got mouth rot, brought her to the vet, got anti biotic shots, and that's been cleared up now for 2 months. She's gained back her weight and attitude (she was being REALLY nice and easy to handle which is really out of the norm for her usually she hates people and will give you an attitude before she mellows).

Well today I had her out and my friend was visiting, and Sarrai took a leap of faith except there was no one to catch her, and dropped down 4 feet onto hard wood (I never said she was intelligent, and she's usually in a carpeted room) and she started spitting clear stuff out of her mouth and nose all over the floor. It almost looked like she was spitting up water. And then later in the day she was loose and we were playing find the iguana (fun pass time I recommend) (and she's used to being loose in my apartment) and we caught her again, and my friend was holding her, and she started to squirm and thrash (normal when she feels like she's done with you) and all of a sudden she did the same thing with the clear watery stuff out of the nose and mouth, but not nearly as much. We looked closer, and her jowls are swollen, more so on her left.

She has good weight, good diet, and overall she's been healthy otherwise for the past 2 months. Does any one have any ideas? Regardless we're bringing her to a vet, but I wanted a heads up on what I was dealing with first. Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Tiny_Hendrix

Tiny_Hendrix Member

RE: Something is wrong and I

Could the liquid coming out of her nose perhaps be her excreting salt from her salt glands? Is it a lot, or just like a little sneeze? If you're brave enough to taste it, it's definitely salty. I've not voluntarily tasted mine, she just happened to decide to excrete it when I was looking directly at her and talking at the same time. I honestly would be more worried about broken bones, or internal bleeding from the fall. Definitely let us know what the vet diagnoses it as.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jdwoodschild

jdwoodschild Embryo

RE: Something is wrong and I

It was a lot the first time (it looked like we massacred a pot of water) and the second time it made a half dollar sized spot on the treadmill. She doesn't seem to have any injuries from the fall (she's not tender any where and she's not bloating) and when she's climbing or running around she isn't favoring anything. Will keep every one updated though!