speckled hog nose pic

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by spooky326, Jul 11, 2007.

1. spooky326

spooky326 New Member

this is the speckled hognose snake i got about 2 weeks ago and i was finally able to get a good pic of the whole body. enjoy

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. TimothyTodd

TimothyTodd Member

Very pretty. What type of substrate is that?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. spooky326

spooky326 New Member

thank man. the substrate is called carefresh. when i got him he had an odd sound when he breathed every once in awhile so i went for something that has no problem with dust. it is the preferred substrate that is used on the site hognose.com he is doing better except for the fact i havent been able to get him to eat but im still working on him.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. sb1127

sb1127 New Member

Real nice. What was he being fed before you got him? Is it possible that he was a frog and toad eater?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. spooky326

spooky326 New Member

well they usually feed on amphibians, lizards, small snakes, birds and their eggs. but in captivity they will readily take mice and small rats. honestly when i picked him up the guy working there had said he just shed within the past week and after the shed he tried to feed him a mouse and he wouldnt take it. i have tried to do a live feeding under supervision but he juast stayed in a corner of the container a little later i tried feeding freshly killed and left it in there for hours and he still didnt accept it so... i am going to try to getahold of the owner of the place to see if i couldnt find out where he came from to see what and when he ate last. i have two more options before i start to worry. one is braining and the other is senting with a frog or lizard not sure which one to use yet. well wish me luck with him!!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. spooky326

spooky326 New Member

well i talked with the guy that i bought the speckled from a couple days ago about where he came from and he said he has no clue because when he started there the snake was already there. he also said the owner wouldnt know either. so i guess i will see what happens tomorrow.

12. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Cute hoggie. Yeh, i'd try braining, then scenting. How long hasn't he eaten for?

13. joeking

joeking New Member

Love hoggies...but they are huge problem feeders. Expecially easterns (I think that's where the speckled ones come from)? Anyway, braining sometimes works but it didn't work for my friend. There is a product out there that you can get though, I just forget the name of it. Its liquid and puts a toad or frog scent on the rodent. I'd try looking it up if I were you.

14. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Yeh, the easterns are usually the problem feeders. CB westerns are usually perfect feeders though. Braining worked for our BP, dunno how successful it will be for your hoggie though, good luck!

15. spooky326

spooky326 New Member

well it has been about 3-4 weeks since he last ate. i will search for the scenting stuff soon. this guy here is a madagascar speckled hognose n i also have 2 western hognose but no easterns. the madagascar hog just finished his shedding either yesterday or today so i am going to be trying to feed soon.