Spiny getting better

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by hubert_cumberdale, Feb 2, 2007.

1. hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale Member

A while ago i posted about saving a spiny igg.
    Well just thought I would update you, and say thanks for all the advice.
    Ive had her for around 2 months now, and she has gained a lot more weight. She looks much healthier!
    Im still having a few problems getting her to eat by herself, but as she has gained so much weight, I feel confident in waiting for her to eat by herself. I still hand feed her every so often to make sure that she's getting the vitamins she needs.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

That is great news to hear your iggy! What is her name? I am happy to hear she is doing much better now.
    I hope she starts eating on her own, soon!!

Tracie

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale Member

RE: Hello

I still havnt named her properly yet, I cant think of an appropriate name for her. Also I was told she was a male, but I checked and found out she was a girl!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Drache613

Hello

Hello,

Oh you have a female instead of a male!! What a surprise for you. Now you may have to contend with egg laying behaviour too. :)

Tracie

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale Member

Does that mean she is going to have even more of a temper? lol. Ive noticed that she is digging lately, is that normal?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Drache613

Hello

Hello,

Oh no, she wont have more of a temper!! :)
    How old is she do you have any idea? If she is digging more or quite a bit, she possibly could have eggs she needs to lay.
    How large is your tank? Do you know how to make a laybox? If not, just use some vermiculite type soil, & mix it with regular potting soil. If will need to be at least 12 inches deep & get it to where it is moist enough to where when she digs, the soil doesn't collapse on her eggs.
    Maybe you should take her to the vet to get some x-rays to determine if she is carrying eggs. That is up to you, though.
    She may be just digging around for fun though also. Alot of lizards tend to dig.
    Does she appear anxious?

Tracie

12. hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale Member

The tank is 4ft tall 4ft long and 3 ft wide. She is only 18" long at the moment. She is only about 10 months old.
    I think the digging is her messing up the cage. I had her in a smaller cage when I first got her, as sh was so ill. I hardly had any decoration so that she couldnt hide, because she used to hide and not get enough light.
    So I think she is just playing around. She doesnt seem really seem anxious, although she does try to hide on her log, so funny!
    When I go to get her she lunges at me with her mouth wide open, and most of the time she clamps down on the glove, but once she comes out she is fine, not aggressive at all.

Also, an update on her appetite! I could not tell if she has been eating on her own, so I decided to hand feed her again, but this time not forcing her. As soon as the food is near her, she grabs it from me!

13. Drache613

Hello

Hello,

Oh that is good she is just playing around digging right now. More than likely since she is only 10 months old.
    So she really isn't very aggressive towards you then, that is great! Glad to hear that she is eating well & taking food out of your hands now!
    Only 18 inches she has alot of growing to do!! It sounds like she is improving alot & has settled in well for you.

Tracie

14. hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale Member

I think she is quite small for her age, but she's not bad considering what she's been through. She's definately happy now! :lol:

15. Drache613

Hello

Hello,

That is ok if she is small for her age. As long as she is happy, it sounds like you are giving her everything that she needs now, & she did have it rough before you got her!!

Tracie