Spots on an Egyptians neck?

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by mr_andrew, Apr 5, 2013.

1. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

So I noticed today Angus as some black spots on the underside of his neck/throat... any ideas what it could be? Is it a bad thing? Or is it normal and I just never noticed it. It just looks splotchy.

His temps are good, he is eating well, still super friendly, and has lots of energy.

Here's a pic. Sorry its not a great one but its the only one he's not trying to eat my iphone in lol.

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Hm... looks like he's also shedding? Maybe he's "growing into his colors" as I like to call it as they get older and their coloring becomes more pronounced. How old is he again?
    From a couple pics on a quick google search it looks like some Egyptian Uros have a dark color under their chin and down their neck...

naykid likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Yeah I saw the same thing on google. And yes he was shedding at the time. He is just over a year.

Just wondering, how big/heavy should an egyptian be at this age?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

It looks like there are 3 sub species that all fall under the category of "Egyptian" Uromastyx. Once subspecies gets to be about 2 feet long at adulthood but the other two seem to be able to get up to 3 feet long when they are full adults.
    I've also read that Ornates and Egyptians take the longest to mature. Ornates around 3-4 years and Egyptians anywhere between 4 to 6 years....

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Interesting, I did not know that. He seems to be happy and healthy so I won't worry then.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Is it sad that I have to check on here to see when I originally posted about getting my little guy to check how old he was? Lol.