St. Joe County, Indiana

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by LedZeppelinFan101, Jun 25, 2006.

1. LedZeppelinFan101

LedZeppelinFan101 New Member

This is getting out of hand. I live in Elkhart County, which is directly next to St. Joe County here in Indiana. In St. Joe County, they have banned not only the sale, but the possession of "carnivorous" reptiles. The law used to be that you could not own constricting snakes over 6' in length. That was "semi-resonable" in my opinion, but this has gone overboard.

They just recently passed a new law outlawing all "carnivorous" reptiles. This includes ALL snakes, and ANY lizard with the capacity of eating pinkies. This means you can no longer be in possession of Blue Tongue Skinks, Bearded Dragons, Leopard Geckos, Fat-Tail Geckos, etc. This also means that no one can be in possession of any turtles, because they are also "carnivorous" (worms, fish, etc.). What are your opinions on this law, and what alternatives could you think of? I'm afraid that it will spread to my county.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

WOW. I don't think the legislators know what they're talking about. I think you should talk to a local herp society or even a national one about drafting a letter to those people and seeing about a change. This is going to affect a LOT of reptile owners out there. I don't know about the leopard geckos or fat-tails, though... or even the beardies at that. I know most owners don't feed them pinkies. Someone could definitely argue that point.

Do you know what the story behind this new law was? In my county you can't have constricting snakes, any reptile over 6' or any turtles. It sounds like someone was trying to ban something else and made a huge mistake. Why don't they just do species specific laws instead of "carnivores."

Check out the thread below this about the reptiles banned in NY state. I'd go to the legislators in that county and bring them that list for an alternative. I highly doubt a leopard gecko is going to rip anyone's head off... gheesh.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. HockeyHerper76

HockeyHerper76 Member

ya, but the only thing is...whos gonna follow that rule? are they gonna check every single persons house for those?no, so if you already have one, you probly dont have to worry about the cops busting ur door open at 2 in the morning and saying "im sorry sir/miss, we're confiscating your reptile", just like in mine and saucy's county, your not supposed to have constricting snakes that grow over 6', but so many probably do and theres nothing done about it

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Zia

Zia Member

Hehe..speaking of the so many that do.... i just got another one, haha

That rule's ridiculous...that would make all 5 reptiles in my house illegal, the retic i could understand i guess..but cresties and leopard geckos? gimme a break. I'd definitely write your senator or mayor or SOMEONE who could do something about this.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I was in the Petsmart today of off Grape Road and they again have corn snakes and king snakes. I noticed they did not have any snakes for about two months. They have never stopped selling leopard geckos (thats where I bought both of mine) which are carnivorous. Do you have a link to the actual law? I wonder if it has changed? I still have not seen ball pythons for sale in St. Joe County but they are for sale in Goshen (Elkhart County) at petsupplies plus.