Starved Beardie, Vent Problems

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Sierra.S, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Sierra.S

Sierra.S Embryo

Tonight I picked up a female beardie, approximately 2-3 years old, that was very neglected. She is severely underweight, her tank was dirty, and there appears to be something sticking out of her vent. She was given to me in the hopes that it wasn't too late to nurse her back to health. As soon as I got her home, I soaked her in a shallow layer of warm water in the bathtub (she was extremely dirty and I assume dehydrated) for close to an hour, while feeding her some fresh dandelion greens and some moist "bearded dragon bites". Good news is that she seems to have an appetite, and now that she is clean and her tank is clean, and has been seen drinking water, she has perked up quite a bit. She is very, very thin. My first concern is how to get her up to a healthy weight a little faster, any suggestions?

My second and main concern is the fact that there appears to be a dried up something sticking out of her vent, about 1-2 centimeters. It is dried up, but seems to be a whitish yellow color. I didn't dare mess with it, it doesn't seem to be causing visible stress, but I don't know how long it has been there. I'm not sure what it is. Any suggestions? I don't want to take her to the vet if I can take care of it myself.

I wish I had more information about the conditions she has been in, but sadly I don't. Any advice on the conditions (if they are different then my healthy beardie) that I should implement to help her recover would be appreciated.