Stress to Death?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Reptikeeps101, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Reptikeeps101

Reptikeeps101 New Member

Hi i am just wondering. Can stress lead to death. Also i needed to know how often to change my soil and peat moss mix.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

I've never witnessed it first hand, of course I have also never attempted to find out. :)
    It is possible to stress any reptile off of it's food. For a turtle, casual handling once a day isn't enough to do it. Especially if the handling results in food for the turtle, they're actually smart enough to figure out person = food. :D

How often to change the mix, what size container did you end up getting? And do you feed from a dish? In a large container, using a dish, I'd say every 3-5 weeks. Turtles usually poop in their water or near it, so spot cleaning around the water bowl can help.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. squirts

squirts New Member

The question of stressing an animal to the point of illness is a good one for me... I keep several snakes (2 corns and a royal python), a gecko, 3 gerbils, an anole, and a red eared slider in my classroom. I recommend reading anything and everything you can about stress-related illnesses and then keeping an eye on your critter. As strangewings added, turtles seem very hardy critters. Our RES, Leonardo, acts like a dog and splashes all over the place when he sees a kid going by his tank so he'll get a treat. I don't think that's stress. =) Monitor your critter, read all about it and have fun. =)