STUPID CANADIAN BYLAW

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by jjaj02, Jul 8, 2004.

1. jjaj02

jjaj02 Embryo

Ya wanna hear a stupid one??? In Saskatchewan, Canada where I live it is illegal to keep any type of constrictor or venomous snake. No, pythons or boas of any sort. We aren't even allowed to have a rosy boa or kenyan sand boa. Tell me what harm there is in having a kenyan sand boa :?: And the dumbest part of all is that in these same bylaws it quite clearly states many, many times that it IS LEGAL to keep a crocodile or alligator. :roll: Whoever wrote these bylaws should have their head chomped by one of the ones they made legal :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. reako45

reako45 Member

I feel for ya. Here in LA you can keep 'em (affects monitors, tegus and... get this...iguanas too!) but you now need a special permit which (if I heard the guy right) will cost $94 a year to maintain!! Not only stupid, but greedy as well. That's LA for you.

reako45

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. iturbott

iturbott Embryo

I read, but find it hard to believe. I moved to the USA 4 years ago, live in Tn.
    Coming from New Zealand, where by the way do we not only have no snakes, but we have a few native lizards. Exotics are killed on site, no quarintine, no pleading, that is the way it always has been.
    Not sure what the laws are in Tn, but I have an Iguana and my wife has a Bearded Dragon. Happy critters but no idea if we are allowed to keep them. My wife is looking up laws now.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. joe5555

joe5555 Member

in alberta your not aloud to have stick insects. like come on!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. herpslave

herpslave Member

If let loose some of these animals and bugs could cause mass harm ot the environment they are not fit in. They could wipe out species that are in that area.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. EmilyH

EmilyH New Member

Can you write to your local politicians and try to get them to change the law, at least to make gators illegal?

12. joe5555

joe5555 Member

arent they already illegal. atleast where i live.

13. herpslave

herpslave Member

They will probably either answer you with a robotic no answer. Or say no because it takes too much work to fix this law. Unless you create a legal petition you may be able to pull it off. But I don;t expect them to care still.

14. jarrell

jarrell New Member

why would you want gators to be illegal. i mean really you are just bieng a hipacrit. i hate when you cant have your own rights and do wat you want to do. i personaly would just keep it, f laws that think they controll me.

15. CRAZY4LIZARDS

CRAZY4LIZARDS New Member

where i live its winter 8 month of the year and we can't have any snakes at all no tarantulas or insect in any matter no camian or crocodiles i think it not a very good law because none of these would even be able to survive a summer night here its just i think there afraid of getting attack or somthing ? not to sure the meaning behind this law they even banned pittbulls or any other "threating dog"like german sheperd and others its just the way it is as long as you keep it to your self nothing should really happen i have 14 tarantullas and i have never been bothered but one of my buddys had a scorpion and accidentily got stung went to the hopital and got fine 350$ and they killed his scorpion so if yuo keep to yuor self you should be fine>>>

16. johnston

johnston Embryo

want about turtles in alberta

is there a law saying that we cant have turtles because i cant find any? !

17. UltimateFX

UltimateFX Member

RE: want about turtles in alberta

I think theres someting about not being able to keep turtles under 4". I dont know why but i think thats a law.

18. Sirus

Sirus Member

RE: want about turtles in alberta

I feel for you, i recently found out that a Toronto bylaw will mean that i cant keep roaches . How annoying is that? the roaches id be using are from a +90F country , and would never survive a Canadian winter or fall, AND we already have roaches in canada, it truely sucks

19. pythonregius76

pythonregius76 New Member

there are also a few specific municipalities (like Thunder Bay for example) that have similar laws concerning constrictors - however in some of these places you can still apply for a permit to keep them.

20. SuzieSnakes

SuzieSnakes New Member

are you positive about that?
    they sold them at the reptile show last year in calgary. the last thing anyone wants to do at thw reptile show is give it a bad name when the media picks on herps enough as it is

21. cricketnutz

cricketnutz New Member

reminds me of the $300 FEE AND $50 PROOF OF VACCINATION REPORT BECUASE MY DOG GOT OUT ONE TIME FOR 3 MINUTES!!!!! thats rediculous in fact all he did was manage to push open the fence and walk around and sniff the dirt for 2 minutes before the aspca guy brought him in and charged me that bastard some of these rule make no sense what so ever its like some of them are just so some guy in deptarment F gets a extra 600 a yr

22. Malice9610

Malice9610 New Member

thats how the governments of the world pay for themselves.

They steal all the cash they can from there citizens with " Taxes " . and then make stupid laws that they can fine people for breaking so they can have there 300k a year severance packages once they are no longer in office.....

i wish i could do nothing for 4-8 years, and get paid 300k a year for the rest of my life for the little work i did do during the 4-8 years i was " Working "

Here in utah we have no real laws concerning the animals you keep, basically if you have more then 2 dogs you need a kennel permit, and any snake that is poisonous, you need a special permit for.

Thank goodness they have no stupid laws about pets here in utah, as we have some of the DUMBEST laws ever....

23. snake_nut

snake_nut Embryo

there are worse things to come, a lot of animal rights groups have now set the reptile trade in there sites making claims that all reptiles can not live a happy life and die young.

now we all know that that is a bare faced lies and what makes it worse is that instead of giving the good points about how the majoraty of good carers that love there pets but instead show only the cases that shock all that see them this makes the unwiting public part with there cash.

so we should all work to stop the steryotypeing of reptiles as dangerous.

24. ordinaryworld_

ordinaryworld_ Embryo

where can i find these laws? i want to know the laws about carrying around a pet snake (coloubrid) like a milk or corn in public

25. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

Where my cousin lives there are no pythons or boas and no venemous snakes
    Where I live there are no laws
    In a town 1 1/2 hrs away from me there are no reptiles whatsoever