Substrate and Whatnot!

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by nikemikey, May 1, 2007.

1. nikemikey

nikemikey New Member

Hey Guys!

So.... We have Coco Soft right now for the substrate. But we want to switch it. It doesnt stay moist that well to keep the humidity up , and we are finding the need to spray all the time ... I also want to have real plants in there.

Any tips on substrate, the depth of it, and potted plants?? All help would be AWESOME!

She also hasnt eaten much. WE put alot of crickets in tehre each night, and we dust them, I think maybe in the past week she has eaten two...MAYBE ! Im keeping track now.

Sometimes the next day a couple crickets are dead, but I think thats the other crickets eating them! hahaha!

And she has only pooped once!! I dont want her to get all constipated from teh substrate and die...so all the advice would be AWESOME!

Thanks guys!
    ;)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ryask

Ryask New Member

Papertowel is the safest.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. nikemikey

nikemikey New Member

Just moist paper towel? Oh ok...wat about real plants and stuff
    LOL

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

p towel is safest, but there is little risk for a tokay on soil and bark substrate IMHO
    leos i can understand, as th ewidth of their digestive tract is so much smaller.

i have a layer of soil, covered in woodchips etc, this eems to hold moisture quite well

but there is risk involved with all loose substrates, even if its small

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ryask

Ryask New Member

for the plants sometimes you can buy pre potted plants...you could leave them in the pot really..if you wanted to use paper towel. I have my tokay on a few inches of coconut bedding...then some wood chips and a bit of moss...and i have real plants planted into the coconut bedding...maybe because of the moss and wood chips it seems to retain alot of moisture. Also with misting twice a day..i find the substrad=te doesn't get dried out.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. nikemikey

nikemikey New Member

What about that reptile carpet stuff.... I hear it works pretty well too :) And it looks alot better then paper towel :)

I should go find some potted plants.... I think she will like them : )

12. uaxhuh

uaxhuh New Member

honestly, that reptile carpet stuff is a waste of money. just stick with towels if youre deciding between those two

13. Raziel

Raziel Member

I really cant see regular types of reptile carpet keeping the humidity up high enough for the tokay.

14. NoisyJoisy

NoisyJoisy New Member

potted plants are excellent for keeping up humidity, just rinse them off well before putting them in....... if your scared your tokay will ingest any substrate, try tossing the crickets on some of the climbing stuff/foliage... prob wont take long before theyre snatched up.