Substrate question...

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by msdnhy, Sep 3, 2007.

1. msdnhy

msdnhy Embryo

Just purchased a new baby iguana (hatchling) from the petstore almost 1 week ago. I've definitely done my research, and all is well so far. The one thing I need help with is the proper substrate. I purchased some Naturebark by Fourpaws which claims to be ideal for green Iguanas, but most research is saying that bark is not a good idea because it may be ingested. I figured since the bark is larger than my Ig right now it may be ok for a short period of time, then maybe I should move on to newpaper. What does anyone else suggest?? I've heard of butcher paper, papertowels, etc. But what is ideal and easy to clean up?? Also how often does the inside of the tank need to be disinfected along with furniture? Can I get away with monthly? Definitely pick up the droppings daily. I purchased some wipes from the store for this, or should i stick to the bleach solution?? Need advice please. Thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Iguana_Momma_Sushi

Iguana_Momma_Sushi New Member

I'll tell you what I do:

For a substrate, I use Eco Earth, it's a coconut fibre bedding, which is digestable in case it's eaten, I've heard of alfala pellets being used here as well, if it's eaten, it doesn't hurt.

As for cleaning solutions, I don't like using chemicals to clean my tanks/cages, since they're harmful to the inhabitants, so we use vinegar and HOT water. Cider cinegar is stronger, but both work as effectively as bleach, don't leave a harsh smell, and you don't really need to let it dry and ventilate before putting your ig back in.

Monthly should be OK, as long as you spot clean daily, and you're not using paper.

Newspaper ink is toxic to smaller animals, and it gets slippery when wet, and inhibits proper leg development, so please avoid using it as a substrate.

Good Luck!!:)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. msdnhy

msdnhy Embryo

Thanks so much. I like that idea better because the whole bleach chemical thing scares me too. What do you recommend for the dilution of vinegar to water? How old is your Ig? msdnhy

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Iguana_Momma_Sushi

Iguana_Momma_Sushi New Member

My 2 igs are a year and a half old, they'll be turning 2 in November.

it really depends on what I'm cleaning, if it's the shelves that get done once a week, then I do 1/3 vinegar, 2/3 water. If it's something particularly nasty, like hamster cages, or fishtank decor, I go to half.

This stuff is strong enough to clean counters and floors with, but safe to use on high chairs and kids' toys!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Tiny_Hendrix

Tiny_Hendrix Member

I use the Reptile Carpet with my Iguana. She doesn't mind it much. I just prefer to use it knowing she won't eat it. Not too hard to clean either. Figure if you want something simple to be able to clean up is to just pull the carpet pieces out and clean them, seems more sanitary in my opinion anyways.