Substrate?

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Ryan1990, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    Just wondering what substrate people use for their common boa's?
    I've tried a few different substrates and have finally settled on tiles, this is because I've used it on my lizards and worked great. Its even better with a snake, coz a snkaes poo is a lot bigger and having tiles make it so easy to clean up lol.
    Just want to check if there's anything wrong with using tile?
    One last question.. How many hides would people say is best for a boa? and also where abouts they should be in the viv?
    Atm, I just have one large one in the middle and about 1/4 of it is the warm end so he can choose to sit in the warm part of it or the cold end of it.
    Any help would be great :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ryan1990

Sorry guys, one more question.. have any of you heard of a snake getting impacted?
    My snake normally poo's once a week, roughly 5-6 days after feeding.. however he didnt go before his last feeding and normally woud have gone by now from his last feeding.
    He has no loose substrate in his viv so the only thing that could be blocking him is his food, I've tried bathing him and it moved a small amount, but its been around 2 weeks since his last "proper" poo lol. So if you think this could be a problem, should I go about it the same as you do with lizards, ie. bath and rub the belly? Are there other techniques and when should I start worrying?
    Cheers :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Ryan,
    Tiles are fine, there's no problem there.
    Personally I use Flax or Hemp, the stuff they use as stable bedding, it's highly absorbant and any liquid sinks to bottom, leaving the surface dry. There's no problem with ingesting as it's vegatable and passes straight through.
    I dont use hides, mainly because my viv is a corner unit and is 5'6" high, it's also heated from the top so they thermoregulate by going up or down. It's been like that for 14 years and I've never had any probs. It's not a "high traffic" area and the lower half is behind the settee. So the choice of hide is up to you really, whatever fits best.
    I shouldn't worry about the poo, my 9ft female stores it up for a month or more, then goes, and how :) Ok this may sound "sick" but I measured it, 17" long, bet she felt better after that.
    You live in the UK as well so you know how much the weather has been changing lately. I do believe it has a lot to do with it, change in preasure etc, regardless of temps in viv. If your worried, can you put a large bowl of water in, then he can soak if he feels like it. The other thing, is he coming up for a shed, mine often "hold" it till they shed and leave it all nicely wrapped up in shed skin, makes cleaning easy then :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ryan1990

Your viv sounds really nice :) love to see a pic :). I've been considering changing viv to a taller one... as I know boas like to climb. He's in a 4 x 2 x 2 at the moment and has got logs etc to climb on but he much prefers sitting on his warm spot on the ground so I dont know if it'd be worth changing?
    Thats a bit of a relief :) he's always done things in a regular pattern so worries me a bit when it changes lol. Hmm, he shed a few weeks ago so probly not far from one now.. week or so I'd say. Hopefully he'll do this one in the skin as its probably going to be an unpleasant one to clean up lol.
    Haha, 17"... must have been like wearing a backbrace (sorry, very crude :) lol).

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

It must have been like a backbrace and I do have a pic of it but I will NOT post it on here :) :)

Here's my setup, it's not very clean but has been sorted since.
    It's about 5'6" high and 3ft down each side of wall.
    The first pic is when I had 3 boas in there, sadly lost one after she had a bad time giving birth.
    Female shedding
    [​IMG]

Going walkabout
    [​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ryan1990

Thats awesome.. looks like your boa's love it too.
    Instead of getting a new viv I'm thinking of getting a long log, cut it down to the length of the tank and screw it to the sides of the viv so he has a "perch" as such goin the length of his tank which he can climb on if he chooses to. Make use of the height I've got.
    Have you got a male and female or 2 females? Both amazing looking boa's :) really bright colours on them.

12. bruno

bruno Moderator

Those pictures were taken about 4 years ago, but the setup hasn't changed. I have a male and female in there now and I'm hoping she is gravid, they have been "frisky" a lot these last 3 months :)
    Putting a log fairly close to the roof is a good idea, he will use it, just make sure it's not pine or cedar as these are toxic, fruit trees, beech are all good. You will need to have at least 2 screws at each end to make it stable, they can exert a huge amount of preasure as I'm sure you are aware. Would recommend screws at least 3 inches long.

It scares me some nights when it's quiet in here, they both start walkabout and the branches creak and groan, one of these days then will be a big crash as the branch breaks :)