substrate..

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by spaceboy, Jun 18, 2010.

1. spaceboy

spaceboy Well-Known Member

Hi everybody, I'm reading up about cresties and concidering getting one in the future. But I have a question, what is the best substrate? I have two leos in different tanks and a beardie, and for all three I use tile. Is tile the best choice for cresties too? I did a search in the forum but didn't find any answers...

thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

well im sure you could use tile for a cresty, but it wouldnt hold humidity that well. paper towels and eco earth are both good substrates. youdont really need to worry about a cresty eating their substate unless your letting them hunt for crickets

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. spaceboy

spaceboy Well-Known Member

Ahh okay. thanks :p

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Isotopomers

Isotopomers Embryo

Seconded eco earth.
    Mine does fine on it.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I have my younger cresties and chahoua on paper towel, but as soon as they are adults I switch to tanks with eco-earth.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

Paper Towel and then Eco Earth.

12. Geckonator

Geckonator Embryo

I currently have my little guy on a reptile carpet, it looks nicer than paper towel, but is still really easy to clean. I was just wondering about the Eco Earth, it looks really nice and is natural but how often do you have to change it and how easy is it to clean out?

13. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

With the ecoearth on the bottom of the tanks I have it about 1" think and packed down pretty well. The fecal matter that makes it to the bottom of the tank stays on top of the eco earth and can easily be picked up... reminds me of scooping dirty kitty litter, lol. As long as you let the eco earth dry out and it doesn't get moldy and you clean up the fecal matter every week or so then there shouldn't be much bacteria growing in the substrate.... I only change it out every 6 months to a year in non-planted tanks... I never change it in planted vivs.

Good luck!