Sulcata Diet

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by dumerillis_1986, Jul 3, 2007.

1. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

I am getting very confused. i have been researching and thinking about purchasing a Sulcata as my first tort. it will be a baby and i have read so much about good diets and bad diets and the variety of diets and greens that are good for them is overwhelming me. could anyone breakdown a good diet i could go by?

Just need something solid. it is amazing how much info there is on these guys yet i am still so confused.

Thanks,
    *Cheers*

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Variety of veggies and greens. Be careful with oxalate, goitrogen, and phosphorus content.

This link lists oxalates and goitrogens http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html (not all of the stuff listed on there is ok for a sulcata though)
    And this has pictures http://www.greenigsociety.org/foodchart.htm (in case you don't know what some of these veggies look like :) )

No lettuces (even leaf lettuces are practically useless), no fruit. Use wild edible greens when possible and grasses for grazing.
    No insect or animal matter at all. Be careful with high protein veggies as well, such as green beans and other legumes, and alfalfa.

Everything else depends on what you can find at your local grocery stores. Some greens such as collard, mustard, and turnip may be harder for you to find in winter months.

Try to focus on a high fiber low protein diet. This would be closer to what their diet in the wild would be like.

Does that sort of clear things up some? :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bassteck76

bassteck76 New Member

All greens Turnip, mustard, collard.
    Red leaf, and Romain lettuce as some roughage.......mine goes through this like crazy!.....LOL
    Sprouts
    Dandelion heads and leaves
    Grasses, be careful some are toxic to animals.

Buy yourself two cuttlebones............the ones for birds at Walmart or a petshop......once a week rub them together over the greens you are feeding............cuttlebones are 100% calcium and work better then even the store bought dust for torts.

I keep flouro lighting in my herp room and have put one 40 watt light over the tank our baby is in.....keeps it around 95-105 for a basking area.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

The one i am getting is only 2 1/2 inches is it not a good idea to put him stright into the Turtle table i am going to build that i planned to keep him on for quit sometime when he gets bigger.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bassteck76

bassteck76 New Member

Mine I picked out right after it hatched............LOL........I keep "her" in a ten gallon tank at the moment until some more size is put on. Works out great. I have turtle and tort "runs" in the backyard for the subs to adults.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Re: RE: Sulcata Diet

Might as well put it right in the table if you're going to build it soon. After all it's much easier to have a heat gradate when you have space to allow it. :p

How is that working out for your torts lately? We've had a lot of rain... in fact it's raining right now. :roll:

12. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

RE: Re: RE: Sulcata Diet

If you want to give your Sulcata a healty diet read the 3 diet related sections of this link. There is a lot of very good info here on all aspects of Sulcatas. http://www.sulcata-station.org/index.html

You want to stay away from store bought produce as much as possible. It is not their natural diet. Grasses are their primary food source naturally and should be in captivity as well. Orchard Grass is highly recommended as a staple. Here is a good place to order it online. http://www.oxbowhay.com/Shop/showProduct.sp?PRODUCT_NO=38