sulcata substrate?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by rosevt, Mar 3, 2005.

1. rosevt

rosevt New Member

my new baby sulcata is coming on tuesday! i have read a couple different conflicting things about what a good substrate is. one that was suggested was a mix of potting soil and play sand. has anybody had any expereice with a good, cheap, healthy substrate?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

We tried a soil substrate, trying to keep it natural, and he just got SO dirty. Timothy hay is a pretty good substrate, but make sure you're buying the right hay, because there are certain types that they can't have. We have used a product called "Yesterday's News" too, which is recycled newspaper packed into pellets. This is great, except that he can tend to get a lil bit dusty. :(

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Melinda666

Melinda666 New Member

I have used repti bark for my Sulcata for the last 1 1/2 yrs with no problems. I pick the poop often and it stays clean for months. And you can remove the bark and wash it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ReptiMom

ReptiMom New Member

Well I just finished the new wooden cage for my Russian Tortoise. It is finally done. And I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good substrate. He was in a 55 gallon that had Lizard litter mixed with small rocks. When I was cleaning out the aquarium that litter was so dusty it was making me sick. The clouds of dust from that stuff were just nasty. I felt so bad having had him living in it since last July. Poor Guy! The wooden box is all sealed and the and dry now. I'm giving it until tomorrow to let the sealant finish drying.
    I have him on some Repti Bark that are real small pieces and he seems fine on it. I was planning on getting more of that tomorrow but wasn't sure if there was anything else out there. I was told about some other type of bedding. I don't remember the exact name of it but it looked like shredding egg crates. if that makes any sense. I like the bark better since it is easier to clean. I would do about 1/2 the bark and then the other half his water dish and then a place for his food bowl. That way he woulnd't get the bark in is water or food. I'm also not sure on the depth it should be either. His litter in the 55 gallon was about 4-6 inches so he could burrow in it.
    Thanks for all and any help.
    Rachel