Sulcata Tortoises

Discussion in 'Animal Adoptions' started by MK87, Jan 3, 2010.

1. MK87

MK87 Embryo

Hi,
    I'm currently looking for a good place to adopt a Sulcata tortoise. I am hesitant about using an online company but i cant seem to find many pets stores that carry them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. xjulezxo

xjulezxo New Member

Try looking for a reptile expo in your area. Where are you located?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MK87

MK87 Embryo

I’m currently in North Carolina and they are not allowed to be sold in this state. But the tortoise and I will be living in Mississippi.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. xjulezxo

xjulezxo New Member

I know there is a reptile show in South Carolina called Repticon. I've never been to it so I'm not sure what they sell. Visit their website and they should have a vendor list. You should be able to see what will be there by the vendor list. http://www.repticon.com/

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ramani

ramani Embryo

It's correct latin name is Geochelone sulcata. They are properly referred to as the African Spurred Tortoise. This has lead to confusion with the North Africa Spur Thigh Tortoise. To make things simpler, the sulcata is now often simply called the sulcata tortoise, while the other (Testudo graeca) is properly called the Mediterranean spur-thighed tortoise.

Given the size they grow to, it is preferable to be able to keep them outdoors. They will quickly outgrow all but the largest of indoor enclosures. They also like to graze, and burrow into the ground - conditions which are a little difficult (but not impossible) to set up indoors.

Females can be kept together, but with only one male. Males may fight with each other. Be careful about keeping them together, or you may be overrun with them! Females lay 15 to 20 eggs at a time, and they are easy to breed in captivity.

If you are considering getting one, make sure you are aware of the space requirements. For many people, a smaller tortoise or turtle is a more practical alternative.
    =============
    Breast Augmentation | Breast Enlargement