Superworm's eating their way out?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by dogking, Dec 21, 2012.

1. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

I just got a call from my mom who was picking up food for my pets, and one of the Petco employees had convinced her that Superworms can dig their way out of a beardie or a leo if you don't cut the head off before feeding it. Has anybody else heard of this? I don't know about other beardies, but Rex likes to chew his food before swallowing, but should I still worry if I feed him Superworms? Also, let me say that I have raised both my leo and beardie on a partial diet of Superworms and have never had a problem with this nor heard about it until now.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Sharman Wisdom

Sharman Wisdom HOTM Winner December

I have heard about that before, my friend was talking about it a couple of weeks ago. I feed my leos and beardies mealworms and you might want to check into Dubia roaches. My beardies love them and my plated lizard. I think Jeff sells them, I got mine from Phoenix AZ since I live in AZ. They don't smell and they send you a bunch and they live a long time. I also got a colony of hissing roaches from my friend that raises them. The small ones I feed to my beardies and plated.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Old Wives tale - there has never been a documented incident of this actually happening to my knowledge. I'm convinced it originated as a result of a mealworm or superworm impaction or something to that nature.

If the bite doesn't kill it, the digestive system will. Herps have pretty powerful enzymes that are meant to combat insects. The stomach acid alone is probably adequate to kill any insects rapidly as soon as it penetrates their spiracles, and the chitinases detroy the insects exoskeleton.

StikyPaws312 and Sharman Wisdom like this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

Thanks! Thats what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure! And Sharman, I have tried to get a colony of roaches, but Dubia are banned in florida and I couldn't find a decent breeder of any other roach in my area =(

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Hey Brian - if you need roaches that are legal in Florida I made a list in the Law and Legislation forum here:

http://reptileboards.com/threads/legallity-of-roaches-in-florida.25993/

Roaches that can legally be kept in Florida can be shipped from anywhere in the states to you. Blaberus craniifer and Blaberus discoidalis will probably appeal most to your needs.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Sharman Wisdom

Sorry, I did'nt know you lived in FL I did hear about that law. Another worm to try is phoenix worms. I'm glad to hear about that not being true, was not exactly sure.

12. Hayden

Hayden Embryo

Maybe to a lizard with no teeth :p but I always feed my bearded dragons super worms and I have never had that happen

13. cadi

cadi Embryo

I feed mine supers meal and roaches no problem with any of them. Trying to breed my colony of roaches now

14. Sharman Wisdom

What kind of roaches do you breed? I breed Hissing and also mealworms. My Savannah loves Hissing and my Tokay.