switching substrate

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by fishingman1, Mar 11, 2010.

1. fishingman1

fishingman1 Embryo

I currently use aspen bedding for my ball python but it doesn't retain that much humidity. What I was thinking is putting aspen under the hot side and some other substrate under the cool side that holds moisture.

Would eco earth be a good substrate? Are there any other good substrates that hold moisture?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

eco earth is a really good substrate for balls, its soft on their bellies and holds water

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. fishingman1

fishingman1 Embryo

thanks. that what I purchased. another question related to feeding. I usually feed her mice from a pet store. The snake is about 4 ft long. Should I give her small or large mice? I usually feed her 2 small mice every month. Is that correct?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Shanna66

i would giveher a bit more to eat. my girl is 3ft and i feed her a young rat each week. sometimes ill feed her 2 mice just to spice things up and give her a change of diet

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. fishingman1

fishingman1 Embryo

ok. i gave her a bigger rat then usual and she leaped out of my hand and coiled around the rat so i believe she liked that.

i have a question about heating. i am using a heating pad from walmart that is designed for people. i want to switch to a Zoomed UTH. My only concern is that she likes to burrow under the substrate so wouldn't she get burned by the heating pad on the glass.

which one should I get her. She is in a 55 gallon. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752652

thanks again.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Shanna66

i always get the ones for the size tanks i use so i would go with the 50-60gal size

im not too sure about burrowing. i usually keep my substrate thin then ellie packs it down.

and make sure you also buy something to control the temps with because that brand gets really hot

12. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

FWIW, rats offer better nutrition than mice. A 4 foot BP ought to be eating every week or so. It does depend on the temps you are keeping, but after the snake gets accustomed to the increased nutritional intake it should settle into a normal weekly or every other week feeding schedule.

As far as UTH pads go, with the exception of 2 cages I am making using RHPs, all my tanks use Zoo Med pads. Just look on the packages and use the appropriate size. My BPs don't burrow, but the Rosy Boa does. It doesn't seem to ever be hurt by the pad heat. Of course, it never burrows and stays there.

Good luck.

Jeff