Swollen feet on Green Anole

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by sewawkward, May 12, 2012.

1. sewawkward

sewawkward New Member

We have had our anole for about a year. Recently I've noticed that her feet on one side are swollen the front more so than the back. Normally she will climb the walls of the aquarium but the swelling of the two feet seem to be interfering with that.
    I have a picture of the front foot
    Bellas foot.jpg
    It doesn't seem to be interfering with movement besides climbing and clinging to the walls. We checked her feet and didn't see any cuts, although she wasn't really cooperative with us looking either so we may have missed something.

One a different topic my son's school decided to get anoles again for a 4th grade project (This is how we got the one above as a rescue). The school year is coming to an end and I've told him we could take 2. Will I need to keep them separate from our current anole, and if so for how long? They will be coming to us in much the same condition as we got our above anole, which was under fed, living in cramped conditions without proper lighting or humidity, and when misted they used city tap water that wasn't treated.
    This is our current set up for the one anole
    closeup.jpg aquarium.jpg
    Would be even be able to add two more anoles to this set up or would it be overcrowded for them. We do have a 30 gal aquarium that I could likely alter so it would be taller and provide room for the additional anoles.

Louie likes this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

She is a nice anole and the setup is nice too :) What size tank is that? It is an Exo-Terra brand and it seems to be the smaller size. You could for sure fit another in there and probably a few more comfortably, just make sure the others you get are both females, or only 1 male. But then, there's the possibility of mating if you're ready to deal with that. Also, do you use UVB lighting? And calcium/vitamin powder to put on her food? And what do you feed her? Sorry for all the questions, but the answers will help.

I can tell the foot seems swollen some, I'm not sure what you could really do though, some other people might know more. The down side is that hey're smaller lizards, so harder to treat and get ahold of. Mine has an eye problem that I can't really fix as well as I'd like, since it's too difficult to catch him, I even called a vet and besides them charging a lot, it could be harder to fix the problem and then I would have to catch and medicate him..which wouldn't work well lol
    You could try to soak her I'd say, if you can, I know that can help with swelling. Hopefully another member on here will be able to aid you more than I can right now-I've only had mine for about a year too.
    Hope she gets better soon!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ELF2240

ELF2240 New Member

My recommendation, as hard as it may be is to attempt to touch the Right foot (seems to be more swollen than the left). In that case, if you are able to touch the foot, if the foot seems painful (if your anole flinches and/or tries to attack) than you may want to have a vet check up to make sure there are no fractures. If he/she does not seem to be in too much pain then I would say the swelling at this point is minimal and may just be a soft tissue injury. My best advice if a vet trip is not available or the foot seems to be doing any better is to attempt to keep the little one on flat ground / logs - any super bendy or twisty play logs should be removed at this point so that he/she is using the foot as minimally as possible.

Hope this helps!

- ELF