Tail break :(

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by lizardsspiderandsnakesomy, Mar 19, 2007.

1. lizardsspiderandsnakesomy

lizardsspiderandsnakesomy New Member

Our big iguana, Max, broke his tail last night :D. He is a little over two years old, and about 12 inches long, snout to vent. (That is a guess... not sure exactly how big he is now).

He seems to be okay, but I am very upset about the whole situation. We are not so sure what he caught his tail on, but he dropped about four inches of it. It was bleeding, and he seemed so sad. What exactly do we need to do to care for him? My fiance tried to get ahold of the vet but each time he calls, they are really busy. Should we take him in, or can he be cared for at home?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale Member

make sure that it is kept clean, use betadine. then use some sort of triple anti bacteria ointment twice a day for the next week. make sure that is kept clean, and keep a close eye on it. If it begins to get worse, then take it to a vet. Its a pretty worrying thing, but should not be too much to worry about. If it starts to dry up and go black, take it to a vet straight away!
    Good luck :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizardsspiderandsnakesomy

Thanks... i am going to get the betadine now!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. PitsNherps

PitsNherps Well-Known Member

Okay you should call the vet anyway and ask if theres a special medication that you can get?What subsitrate is he on?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lizardsspiderandsnakesomy

He is on shelf liner, and we have contacted our vet... he said to do the betadine and neosporine at least once a day... and to keep his cage clean... and keep a close eye on him. We are doing all that. It just makes me sad to see his poor little tail ;)

Thanks... Emma

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

Make sure not to use any kinda painkillers. Sometimes neosporine comes with it included.

12. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

Sorry about your iggy's tail! That is too bad he dropped some of it.
    As suggested, the betadine is the best. Dip it in the solution a couple of times daily, & the antibiotic ointment is very helpful.
    Does he appear to be in any pain? If so, you could take him to see the vet & they may be able to give him something for that perhaps.
    I hope that he gets better soon. Keep him all comfy.

Tracie

13. lizardsspiderandsnakesomy

RE: Hello

He doesn't seem to be in any pain... he was really cuddly right after it happened... rubbing all up on our hands... which, isn't ususally like him... normally he is a teritorial butthead... but he seems to be happy... basking and eating as normal!

14. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

Great he seems to be taking it all in stride. Just watch him & make sure the tail stays clean, & it should begin to grow back soon. Make sure he is getting good nutrition & calcium & lighting, he should be fine.

Tracie