Tank too big?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by spaceboy, Oct 24, 2013.

1. spaceboy

spaceboy Well-Known Member

No, there is no such thing as a too big tank. There is a myth going around that too big of a viv would make them scared and insecure, but its not true. The bigger the better :) Imagine in the wild if the geckos thought their "viv" (being the wild) was too big!

Geckolad likes this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Geckolad

Geckolad New Member

Ok thank you so much this makes me feel much better!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Spaceboy is correct. There is no such thing. I keep my baby happy in a 40 gal breeder. Lots of room for her to roam around and also lots of room for adding hides and other things she could climb on. I recommend this size tank for any leo. But you need to beware about keeping 2 leo's in the same enclosure. Bullying and sometimes death occures. If its two males they will kill each other or the larger will kill the smaller. Two females you may get away with but if one is smaller...well the smaller will get bullied. Male and female...babies everywhere! and this also can harm your female. Overbreeding or even eggs in her body exploding will kill her.

Keep your leo's in their own enclosures. Also I can't tell from your pic but I hope thats not sand. Sand can cause impaction which is deadly. Use a carpet or slate tiles which is the better of the two. Make sure you got 3 hides per gecko (if your gonna try your hand at keeping two and pray for the best) then you'd need six hides all together in a single enclosure. warm, moist, cool.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Geckolad

Geckolad New Member

Yeah I bought them "mated" together I dont want to split them up. I am willing to dispose of eggs immediatly to prevent any extra geckos. Not after they already started forming. That would be cruel. It is sand and at the moment that is all that is available. They are each 3 years old which is good because I read and researched finding out two in one container must be same age. I have (as of right now) 5 hides. 2 under the heat lamp. 1 under the day lamp which I keep moist. And 2 far away from the heat lamp.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. spaceboy

spaceboy Well-Known Member

Oh please seperate the leos... They're not social animals and it WILL shorten their lifespan. It is extremly stressful for a female to be pregnant and lay eggs, they lose tons of energy and body fat and you need to be prepared to feed her the right things for her not to take damage from the pregnancies. They will not be sad or lonley if seperated, they will only be happier and less stressed, I promise you.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Geckolad

Geckolad New Member

Mated means they cannot be separated. If they are removed from one another their color tends to tint, as I've noticed with these two. 40 gal is what is required for two adult geckos. They were blocked off from each other but mag still found a way onto the other side. Geckos can be together in a tank, as long as they are placed in at the same age. Mine were not, but they slowly got used to each other. They sleep under the same rock together, their perfectly comfortable cohabiting with one another. Don't worry. I wouldn't have them together if they fought. Trust me. It's best not to separate them at all.

12. Geckolad

Geckolad New Member

But I completely respect your thoughts.

13. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

No mated doesn't mean that for reptiles. A male will mate with everyone so will females. Reptiles don't have any connection together. As for leo's in the same cage...not really. Not sure where your getting your information from but there is bullying and death. As for eggs..a female laying eggs will have a shorter lifespan due to the stress on the body. And it is best to seperate them. Your new to the trade and we are trying to help you. But if your not willing to listen than we cannot help you at all. They should have their own enclosures that's what a respectable owner would do. Leo's will bully one another sooner or later its been proven many times. If your still going to keep them in the same enclosure and ignore the warnings than you need 6 hides in the tank this way they have their owns pace.

Sand causes impaction and I would go back to carpet or slate tile found in any lowes or homedepot. Its safer and cleaner for them. They aren't sand dwelling lizards. the desert enviroment they thrive in is rocky (big rocks) and pact earth which is almost like stone with how pact it is. Little vegitation is in the area besides desert grass and bits of aloe (nothing with barbs). Believe me when I say sand is the source of many deaths and should never be used. You can use it as a cushion between slate tiles and glass (entire floor should be slate).

14. Geckolad

Geckolad New Member

Ok I will run to Petco tomorrow thanks. I am giving her extra calcium because I know thats what she is drained of when she mates

15. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Really think you should forgo the mating. I don't understand why you are so intent on keeping a mating pair together and lessen the lifespan of your gecko you say you love so much. And any info from petco is full of bs. So is petsmart and petland. You should actually call up a breeder if you want your answers or even a herptologist. Im sorry to say this but your a loss cause and any further help you need will be hard because of your rigid stance on what you think is correct but many of us know isn't. If you want something social get a dog or something or ferrets.

16. Geckolad

Geckolad New Member

I said I was running to Petco to get tiles I was listening to your advice fully. Dont worry.

17. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Petco doesn't have slate tiles. Lowes and Homedepot do. THey are in the flooring section. take measurements of the inside of the tank. But no your not listening to all of what we're saying because you still are housing a potential bomb that may explode in your face sooner or later. We are trying to save your gecko's from that happening. And the fact your willing to put your female through such a process of breeding without even a care just tells me how responsible you are. She'll need more than just calcium she'll need a multivitamin like Repashy (they both need it). Then a place to lay the eggs a moist hide isn't going to cut it. You really should perhaps read less petco caresheets and most of the dummies book (I own it. I find some information amusing) and give our advice more thought. Im not attacking you but your lack of interest in our most important advice just shows us how rigid you. There is no such thing as a mated pair they are not lovebirds or dolphins...Reptiles will mate with whoever they think is worth it during the mating season.

ajlista likes this.
  18. Geckolad

Geckolad New Member

Ok I am sorry you think I am not listening I separated them last night like you said. Ones in a 20 gal the other in a 40 gal. I don't want them to go through stress I do really care about them. I bought some zilla terrarium liner so impaction wouldn't be a problem. They are doing good so far. And I do now realize that they dont really care for eachother like mammals or birds. Sorry to make you think I wasnt listening. I completely respect your knowledge especially because I am new to this subject. I will listen to your words carefully. One question under the females hide she scratches at the floor of the tank. I dont know what shes trying to do but I wonder if it has to do with eggs?

19. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

I wouldnt worry about the digging. I have read before that digging can be due to temperature regulation. I don't believe it has something to do with eggs, but it very well may so don't quote me on that. As far as I know it's typical behavior

Geckolad likes this.
  20. Geckolad

Geckolad New Member

Ok thanks so much ! :D

21. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

I would do some more research on it, as far as I know its quite common, when I was recently at an expo most of the geckos in the containers were digging in the corner I think its just fairly normal behavior.

22. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

You can put a bio substrate in a container and let them dig through that. Or cocoanut fiber in the moist hides. A lot in containers dig cause they want out but once they settle in their enclosures they normally forgo the digging. So those are your two options. Bio substrate is just organic top soil with no organic materials (cause half of the organic materials is crap) or that brick of dry dirt from the petshop. Nature something or another whatever its a brick of dirt I keep forgetting the name. Just a small container deep enough to dig around in, get in and out easy should be enough. If you go to lowes or homedepot and get top soil just take out what your gonna use. Put it on a bake pan and cook it at 250 degrees F. This will kill off any pests, eggs etc that are living in the dirt.

But you shouldn't worry to much about it. Your listening that a plus and Im happy to see that your taking the advice. Next on the list is...

Vitamins!

The calcium powder without D3 is usually placed in a small little flat bowl. like a cap or something. They will lick this when they need it.

Repashy: Multi vitamin and highly recommended. Make sure its for Leopard geckos the crested mix is a bit different. THis should be used every other feeding.

Gutloading: Always gutload your feeders 24 hours before you feed the geckos. This includes a variety of veggies. I find collard greens, romane lettuce, carrots and kale are great and cheap. You can throw a bit of the vitamin on the food as well. This will highly benefit the geckos or any reptile for that matter. You are what you eat as they say.

Not sure what your main feeders are. Usually people get crickets cause they are easy, and meal worms. I never liked the meal worms and stick to Superworms. Much more healthy than a meal worm. Easier to keep than crickets and no smell. I use a bio substrate for my feeder bins and it keeps whatever smell way down.

I don't know where you live but a Vet who deals with exotics should be found Just in case something should happen. Even a checkup is recommended.

Thats all for now. You'll notice little quirks as you watch them. Some like to dig some like climbing, some hate handling some love TV (mine does). Well any more questions just ask.

Geckolad likes this.
  23. Geckolad

Geckolad New Member

Ok thanks so much! This is a lot of very useful information. I love the help you are giving me :) you should write a book! I have the new terrarium liner from zilla. I think they love it, plus its so much easier to heat the container with it :D I have calcium with d3 :D I know they dont need the vitamin that substitutes for uv rays cuz they are awesome and nocturnal, yet mine sleep at night haha. And I am very intrested in learning more about geckos watching tv :D
    I have a nice 40 inch in my room they can see from their tanks I wanna experiment haha. And I noticed Kiff hates handling and Amy is fine with it. Thanks again keep me informed :D

24. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

They aren't actually nocturnal. Im so tired I can't think straight but it starts with a C and its because they are most active during dawn and dusk. But if gecko's are full they will sleep it off that's pretty normal. Some take to handling some don't. My Freya doesn't care for handling but she'll sit down on my lap or climb up to my shoulder and sit there for awhile. They all have little quirks which is nice. Its not boring. Which liner? I was actually looking at the desert looking liner I saw online. Was gonna use over the tiles i have on the cool side just to give the tank more color. Just make sure you have two liners for each tank. So when your cleaning and drying one you have the other ready to be put in. Just switch em every cleaning. Easier that way.

Nah Im not that pro enough to write a book lol but thanks for the compliment.